Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP slow start up

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 whiz

whiz

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:18 AM

Hi All,
Some help required please. Im running Windows XP Home service pack 2 on a Packard Bell PC with an AMD Athlon XP3000+ 2.17GHz processor and 512MB of RAM and my system is painfully slow to start up. I have done the start - run-msconfig-start up tab and removed all entries which are not required to automatically start up using the very useful directory on this site. Although I have deleted almost 50% of what was on the start up tab the system doesnt start any quicker. Are there any other methods that can be used to make the system start more quickly ?
Thanks in advance
Ignorance is the enemy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:53 AM

Do you keep up with antivirus and antimalware precautions?

Is the harddisk nearly full, the OS partition anyway? have you checked whether the drive is very fragmented?

Is it only slow to boot but otherwise runs fine once it's up? Is this the way it has always been or something that has just recently been noticed; slowly or suddenly?

#3 whiz

whiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:13 PM

Pchartwell,
Many thanks for your reply. I have answered your questions one by one below

All my antivirus, firewall and malware software is up to date. I use ad-aware, spybot and crapcleaner almost on a daily basis.

Its an 80Gb hard and only using 35Gb. I defrag once a week even if it doesnt need it.

Its been getting slower gradually over the past months. Once its up and running it seems fine.
Ignorance is the enemy

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:35 PM

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination, just to be sure your computer is clean.

Read the pinned post in the HijackThis forum, here
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully.

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 whiz

whiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:54 PM

Thanks tg1911

Will sort out a HJT log in the morning.
Ignorance is the enemy

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 02:22 PM

You're welcome, whiz.
I hope it helps.
Let us know how it turns out.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#7 chicha1997

chicha1997

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:04 PM

Pchartwell,
Many thanks for your reply. I have answered your questions one by one below

All my antivirus, firewall and malware software is up to date. I use ad-aware, spybot and crapcleaner almost on a daily basis.

Its an 80Gb hard and only using 35Gb. I defrag once a week even if it doesnt need it.

Its been getting slower gradually over the past months. Once its up and running it seems fine.

Get a good scanning of your HD ,some sectors maybe going bad :JL

#8 whiz

whiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:08 AM

HJT log posted here as requested
Ignorance is the enemy

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:26 PM

Slow booting may be caused by many things. One thing to review is the number of applications your computer launches at start up. While this launching makes starting each application faster one you are multitasking, each adds time, in a trade off you might not want, to the initial boot. Office applications, media players, and browsers often have such "quick start" options.
You can use the startup tool in Spybot to review and manage your start up applications (BC as a good startup program database that will help you determine if an operation is really needed or not).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 spywaredr

spywaredr

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 11 June 2005 - 06:34 PM

assuming you use I.E. web browser,

tools.options,general

temporary internet files:
check auto
set space used to 500mb
clear temp files

history:
clear
set to 0 days stored

privacy:
advanced
over ride
1st party accept
3rd party block

connections:
properties
configure
max speed=11,500
idle=never
check redial if dropped

networking:
tcp/ip
properties
general
use dns #'s [get from isp]

advanced
close unused folders on shutdown

multi-media
check-empty temp files on browser close

shut down net messenger's [NOT windows messenger] open port
start
all programs
admin tools
services
messenger
properties
start up type
disable

this open port allows pop-ups,pop unders,spy/malware and just general hacking into the heart [registry] of your computer
CLOSE IT !

#11 whiz

whiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:33 AM

You can use the startup tool in Spybot to review and manage your start up applications

Regards,
John

Hi John

Where exactly in spybot can i find the start up tool ?. I can see it in the help file, but that doesnt tell me how to use it
Ignorance is the enemy

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:46 PM

Open Spybot
click Mode, at the top, then select Advanced
on the left, click Tools
make sure there is a checkmark in the System Startup box
on the left, click System Startup
here, is where you uncheck anything, that you don't want to run at startup

#13 whiz

whiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:19 PM

Thanks again tg1911 :thumbsup:
Ignorance is the enemy

#14 whiz

whiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:59 AM

Seems like we have cracked the slow start up problem by using the panda scan and a-squared software. A-squared found 6 malware files that ad-aware, pandascan and spybot had missed, on removing those the system is running a lot faster :thumbsup:
One thing that has changed is that on re-booting last night a lot of my desktop shortcuts had disappeared. Anyone got any ideas what has caused this ? The icons were not associated with malware so I see no reason for the scans to have removed them.

Edited by whiz, 14 June 2005 - 10:04 AM.

Ignorance is the enemy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users