Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 minic

minic

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:30 PM

Hi everyone havent been here in awhile hope everyone is well

for the past week I started getting a message saying I didnt have an authentic copy of Windows? But thats not the problem

On my laptop I use Windows XP anyway I ignored it. now my laptop is not working at all. When I try to log on to windows and sign into one of my screen names it immediately goes to a black screen then says saving settings logging off even when I boot in safe mode it does the same thing. I don't know if someone hacked it or its because of the Windows Authentication.

I really don't want to reinstall windows because I have files and software that I need any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 StickDude101

StickDude101

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

You need to get a ACTUAL Windows XP CD Activation Key. Look on the side of your computer and enter the 16 digit number into:

Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Activate Windows.

This should do the trick :thumbsup:

Thanks,

~StickDude101

#3 minic

minic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:29 PM

Stick Dude thanks for your reply but I cant get to the start menu to follow the steps that your provided.you know in Windows XP when your computer boots up its takes you to a welcome screen with the user accounts..well when I click on my user account and type in my password it immediately goes to a black screen then says saving settings logging off..I cant get into my computer at all.

I've tried pressing F8 booting in Last known config option as well as safe mode I feel like throwing it out the window..I may just have to reinstall Windows someone said to try windows repair but I don't know

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:35 PM

If you have the installation disk try using the recovery console to run chkdsk /r.

Manually run Chkdsk

Start> Run and type in chkdsk /r (please notice the space between the k and the/) and then click on OK.

A black page with white printing will appear, type in Y, and click on Enter key.

Chkdsk will run when the computer restarts.

If this fails, do a repair installation.

Note: The system repair function will remove any updates you have previously installed that are not included on the CD. Drivers will also be reverted to their original XP versions, as well as some settings (network & performance settings may sometimes be reset to their defaults). It may be necessary to reactivate your Windows XP as well. When finished, you will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update, because they are all replaced during repair.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 lovekieu

lovekieu

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:00 AM

i don't work with your tip, more tip, please ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users