Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ereg.exe

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 44guy

44guy

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

I'm running XP home edition. When it starts up, I get a message that "Ereg.exe" didn't start properly.

I have no idea what the heck EREG is. Does anybody know? Other folks have told me they get this message once in a while also.

It seems to have started after I started using Google as my browser, but it may be a coincidence.

I'm getting tired of clicking cancel on the pop up. How can I get rid of the pop up? Frankly, at this point, it doesn't seem to affect anything, so I just want to get rid of it...I don't care what it is!!

Advise anyone?

44 Guy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

Ereg.exe is related to Scansoft's or as it's now known as Dragon's 'Naturally Speaking' software. Which is now part of the Nuance line of products.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

Ereg.exe is part of ScanSoft's OmniPage Pro 12 Office. It isn't needed for startup and can be accessed at anytime after startup. I would suggest disabling it from the start up list. You can disable this from the startup by going to misconfig and removing the check mark next to it in the startup menu.

Start> Run, type in misconfig, click on OK, then click on the Startup tab.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

Ereg.exe is related to Scansoft's or as it's now known as Dragon's 'Naturally Speaking' software. Which is now part of the Nuance line of products.

Thanks. I unchecked nuance from the startup list in msconfig, but I still get the stupid message about ereg on start up. Any other ideas? 44 guy

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

Download Autoruns from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

1. Run it and let it scan your system.
2. When it says 'Ready' in the statusbar, click on the Logon tab
3. Look for "ereg.exe" in the Image Path column. If you find it, uncheck it.

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

I read the POPUP is a Registration reminder for OmniPage Pro 12 from ScanSoft. :thumbsup:

#7 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:00 PM

I read the POPUP is a Registration reminder for OmniPage Pro 12 from ScanSoft. :thumbsup:

Okay, a new clue. Really T's me off the stuff they put on your computer. Thanks.
44 guy

#8 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:20 PM

Download Autoruns from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Romeo, You are a Prince of Darkness! Thanks. I found it and a few other things to check.
Thank you very much. 44 guy

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:04 AM

Okay, a new clue. Really T's me off the stuff they put on your computer. Thanks.
44 guy

I just typed the EXE, into Grinlers START UP list,and thats the answer,that came up. Hope it helps. :flowers:

#10 44guy

44guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:10 AM

44 guy

I just typed the EXE, into Grinlers START UP list,and thats the answer,that came up. Hope it helps. :flowers:

Cool, never heard of Grinlers Start Up list, but someone from microsoft sent me a program which did that too and I found it...goodbye ereg.exe and good riddance! Thanks.
44 guy

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:32 AM

I believe this is what is referred to as "Grinler's StartUp List", http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

The Bleeping Computer website has any number of tutorials, suggestions, etc. which many of us are ignorant of. My excuse :thumbsup: is that I seldom go to the home page and therefore did not know how extensive the website is.

I would suggest that many users can benefit by not doing like myself...visit the home page and take a look at the potentially helpful items which have been prepared to assist users in their searches for answers and useful information.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/, can also be accessed from any forum webpage by just clicking on the Home tab close to the top of the page, just under bleepingcomputer.com.

Louis

#12 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:04 AM

Romeo, You are a Prince of Darkness! Thanks. I found it and a few other things to check.
Thank you very much. 44 guy

Im glad I was able to help :thumbsup:

#13 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:08 PM

Ok, I know this totally off topic and hope I am not really breaking any rules by posting this, but I have to say this....

Romeo, I want you to have your old icon back, I liked it a lot better, it fit your name and I miss it :thumbsup:

Edited by Stang777, 18 March 2009 - 04:09 PM.

#14 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:06 PM

Awww... dont be sad.. I wanted to put an animation (a man typing frantically) it didnt work, I think culprit is gif resizing :flowers:
even after resizing manually on my puter, on bc the animation stops in middle :trumpet:

okay so back to red heart by popular demand :thumbsup:

#15 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

Awwwww, thank you, you are very sweet to do that :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users