Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

moving Favorites to another computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 abx

abx

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

I have about 300 Favorites on my Windows XP computer. I am planning to purchase a brand new Windows XP computer. Without my having to buy one of those special file-transfer machines what is the best way to transfer my Favorites to my new Windows XP. Can I put my Favorites on a floppy disk or CD-RW (and how would I do that) and if so, how would I install the disks on the new computer so that I could get them all in the same position with the same headings? Thank you very much. Mike Brown

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:56 PM

It's a simple copy transaction, to CD, floppy, etc.

To restore them on the new install, just drop the folder (Favorites) into the Docs & Settings for yourself. They will replace the empty folder.

While you are backing up Favorites, you may also want to back up Cookies and email files.

Implementing a backup strategy - http://www.pcug.org.au/boesen/Backups/backups.htm

Backup Options - http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/backup.htm

Louis

#3 abx

abx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:44 AM

To hamlus: Thank you for your message. Could you please tell me specifically how to drop the Favorites folder into the Docs & Settings (whatever that is)? Thank you. abx

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:10 AM

1. Open this folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME where USERNAME is the your username. For example, if you logon with username John then the folder would be C:\Documents and Settings\John

2. Copy folder named Favorites to a USB drive or cd wherever you want to back it up. The folder would be having a yellow star icon. Check by opening it that it contains all your bookmarks.

3. Now in the destination Windows XP system, open the folder C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME where USERNAME is the your username.

4. Overwrite the folder Favorites at the same location, with the one you backed up.

#5 abx

abx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:52 PM

I don't have a username on any of my computers. Please advise. Thank you. abx

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

Open Start Menu > Run.
Type Favorites and press Enter
It will open (hopefully) your Favorites folder. Go up one level in folders hierachy and copy Favorites to backup drive.
DO same on destination when overwriting Favorites.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:16 PM

Couldn't you also just use the import\export feature under file in the IE toolbar?

That creates a much smaller file to copy from one computer and paste into the other.

You just choose export from file on the IE toolbar to create the backup file, it creates a small file called bookmark. Copy that file onto the backup disk and then paste it into the new computer. Then you just choose import from file on the toolbar and select that file to put them into the new computer. You can also use that feature for cookies.

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

I don't have a username on any of my computers. Please advise. Thank you. abx

Username is just for whatever name you gave the account you use on your computer. I believe there has to be an account name on every computer

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:26 PM

Couldn't you also just use the import\export feature under file in the IE toolbar?

That creates a much smaller file to copy from one computer and paste into the other.

You just choose export from file on the IE toolbar to create the backup file, it creates a small file called bookmark. Copy that file onto the backup disk and then paste it into the new computer. Then you just choose import from file on the toolbar and select that file to put them into the new computer. You can also use that feature for cookies.

Thanks I didnt know that :thumbsup: Possibly because I seldom use IE these days. BTW this feature is available in IE7 and 8

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

You are welcome and thanks for letting me know that it is available in 7 and 8. I use 6 and had wondered if it was still there in the newer versions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users