Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro Stalls at starting up screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Burfoot

Burfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:38 AM

I recently installed SP2 via windows update on my laptop. After the initial install, everything appeared to be working ok. However, after doing further windows updates, my laptop fails to start up. It stalls at the "windows is starting up..." blue screen with the windows xp logo.

I was able to start it up in safe mode but only if I chose the administrator log in.

Any advice or suggestions on a solution to this problem would be appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:41 AM

When you get in as Administrator in Safe Mode, have a look at the Device Manager; see if anything obvious is wrong there. Also, was your laptop XP or XP SP1 originally or had it been upgraded to XP from something prior?

#3 Burfoot

Burfoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:50 AM

Nothing appears out of the ordinary under the device manager. The laptop has always had Win XP SP1 installed on it. I finally decided to install SP2 yesterday for increased security, but it appears to have been a bad decision.

#4 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:00 PM

Sounds pretty bad. Did you have it create a system restore point before the SP2 upgrade? You can use them from Safe Mode.

By the way, reason I had you look in Device Manager was that I had a bad experience with SP2 on a number of machines that all shared a common image. We never solved the issue and had to re-image them in the end but the hallmark was that otherwise normally functioning devices were being mis-reported in Device Manager. double installed, mis-named, unknown devices; etc.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:06 PM

Automatic Recovery Feature for SP 2 Bad Install

This article discusses how to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer
to its previous configuration if the installation of Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
is not completed successfully. Use the procedure that is discussed in this article to recover
your computer to a bootable state and to remove Windows XP SP2 if Windows does not
start correctly after you try to upgrade your computer from Windows XP to Windows XP SP2.
This article also discusses how to collect information about the Windows XP SP2 installation
and about your computer to help troubleshoot and diagnose the issue.

Or you can call MS.

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy:
Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338). There is no
charge for support calls associated with security updates.
International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 pchartwell

pchartwell

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:10 PM

Thx TG; good catch

#7 Burfoot

Burfoot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 12:46 PM

I attempted the "Automatic Recovery Feature for SP 2 Bad Install" without success. It appears it won't even start up in safe mode any longer, it stalls at the same point in safe mode boot up as it does in normal boot up.

After installing SP 2 it was working fine, initially. It was when I went back to do additional updates that windows update recommended. It downloaded and installed those updates, then requested a restart. But that is where I am now. It has never booted back up :thumbsup:

*Edit*

I take that back about not starting up in safe mode. It did indeed start up in safe mode but took an unusally long time. Also, after it booted up in safe mode, there was no bottom task bar present (which includes the start button, etc). I found that very odd. All the desktop icons were there however.

I will try to let it boot up normally now. I may have just been too impatient, looking for the normal boot up time to occur.

Edited by Burfoot, 10 June 2005 - 12:57 PM.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:26 PM

Let us know how it turns out.
If you're still having problems, we'll try to figure out something else.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users