Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice On Managing My Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ratdem

ratdem

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

The situation is that I recently moved from an apartment to a house. In the apartment I had both my PC and my game systems in the same room, so wireless signal strength was never an issue. Now, however, I have a home office for my PC, and my game systems (XBox 360 and PS3) are in the living room (same floor, seperated by three walls) and I'm getting terrible signal strength and speed on my game systems. I've upgraded from a wireless G to an N router, hoping the stronger signal would help, but it actually seems to be weaker. I've also tried running a length of CAT5 from the router into the living room and running off of it, but the speed is still slow. It's gotten to the point that I either get terrible lag while playing, or am kicked out of the session altogether.

The only idea I've come up witn that I haven't tried is setting up either a wireless booster or simply plugging in another router to the CAT5 and connecting my sytems to it wirelessly in the same room.

Here are the router stats.

Brand: D-Link
Model: DIR-615
Hardware Version: C1
Firware Version: 3.01 (This is the latest update)

I'm connecting the PS3 and Xbox 360 with their proprietary wireless adapters (internal for the PS3, external for the 360), with all system updates installed.

I've sent two emails to D-Link tech support, but they apparently won't reply unless you are willing to spend $50 for the first class support, so any ideas would be appreciated.
"If ignorance is bliss, then wipe the smile off my face."
Rage Against the Machine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:59 AM

Hey,

I personally have no experience with using booster kits so i would personally run a CAT5 cable and connect either another router or just a hub. This is dependant on wether or not you want to run the cable down.

Then once you have a connection in your living room you can either run the PS3 and 360 wirelessly or hardwire them to the router/hub. I'd again go for hardwire just to cut out any possible interference in the wireless.

Use good quality CAT5 cable aswell, using cheap cable will reduce performance levels and will create just as many problems.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 ratdem

ratdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:32 AM

I was leaning in that direction, myself. The only question I have is does the length of CAT5 run affect the signal strength like it can with coaxial cable, and would another router or a hub serve to boost the signal a little?
"If ignorance is bliss, then wipe the smile off my face."
Rage Against the Machine

#4 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:41 AM

The length of a CAT5 cable won't affect the quality of the signal, not for the length that you'll be running, maybe over a mile of it then it might :thumbsup:

A router or hub won't boost the signal for a wired connection but if you use a 2nd router and go wireless you will have a better signal over the 1st router without a doubt.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#5 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:52 AM

retdem - Just wondering, if you are using a Cat5 and still experience lag... What speed of internet are you getting from your ISP... Also if you are downloading a lot of stuff, or have too much spyware running... That can take up network bandwidth, and in turn, reduce the speed you are getting from your games... Also most routers (not sure with D-Link, but most likely), have 2 ports that use port aggression... Usually the 2nd and 3rd, or 3rd and 4th... Connecting your games through those ports, will give them precedence over the other connections... Also three walls shouldn't make to much a difference with the signal strength... At my gf's house with an old IBM Thinkpad, and its old b/g internal wireless adapter, I was able to pick up a signal from 2 houses down the street... Also houses on both sides and across the street... All but the one 2 houses down, had good signal... (more then 3 walls separating) Though if you have your router in a room with the door always closed that could have an effect... Personally, if you thinking about getting another router... What I would do is, put a router next to your game systems, and use a Cat5e, or Cat6 to string from your main router, to the games router. Then use small Cat6 cables to connect from your games router, to your game systems...

By the way, if you have a lot of disturbance around, that could be what is causing the lack of signal for your games... Also I would do a virus and spyware scan...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users