Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 suplegolas

suplegolas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:50 AM

Hi!

I have two PC's (a laptop and a desktop, respectively). My laptop receives a perfect signal from my router which is sitting on floor below, a consistent 4/5 bars of wifi signal strength. My desktop, which for test purposes I have right next to my laptop, receives only 1 bar (if it gets connection at all). My desktop is using a WPN 311 (netgear) wireless PCI card for it's connection.

How can it be that my laptop's connection is so perfect, yet my desktop (literally 31 inches away) receives no signal?

All of your help is appreciated!

Info:
All drivers updated
Netgear WPN311 for Desktop
Notebook Wireless Card is Generic
Netgear Router (1 floor below)
4/5 for Laptop
0/5 or 1/5 for the Desktop Signal Strength

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

Hey,

There are many reported problems of slow speed when using the Netgear WPN311.

As of yet i haven't come accross a solution. You may want to look at buying a different PCI/PCI-E card for your PC.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users