Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I decrease the load on my psu?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 geno93n0

geno93n0

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:19 AM

To start with, my stats:

Pentium 4 1.7 GHz
256MB RDRAM
GeForce 5500FX
300W PSU
40GB SATA HDD
1 Floppy drive
1 52x CD drive
1 DVD/RW combo drive

This thing is around 5+ years of age, and recently it's been breaking down on me (random restarts and the like). Already verified that it's not any virus or malware because a reformat took care of that; already changed graphics cards and monitors too. So our PC budget has taken a lot of flak recently, and still nothing solves the problem.

Since I don't have the cash yet, I can't buy a new PSU to verify the problem, but I'd like to ask if I can somehow decrease the load on my existing PSU by removing some of the devices (the 3 disk drives are entirely unnecessary for me atm). Must I uninstall them or just remove their connection to the PSU?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:04 AM

When was the last time that you cleaned out the inside of your case? If you have an accumulation of dust inside this will cause it to over hear which can cause these symptoms.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:02 PM

You should be OK just unplugging them. The BIOS will take care of not seeing them (or should). Ru it for a while and see if it reboots. If it still does, chances are the Power Supply is not the culprit.

But as dc3 said, clean the dust out and you may gain some power.

Make sure you get a decent brand and at least 400 watts, if not more. A power supply that is too small will tend to run hotter.

Good luck.

DR :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:02 PM

The suggested minimum for that card is 300W, if you clean out the computer and still have problems post back and let us know.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 geno93n0

geno93n0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

I already cleaned it more than two weeks ago, and the problem still persisted then. This problem's been around for almost a month now.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:53 PM

The power supply, if it has been used almost every day for the past five years, could be nearing its final days. PC components with moving parts usually fails, with me at least, after about five years of extensive use. Unplug those drives if you don't need them but start setting aside cash for a decent 400W PSU.

3939.png

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:06 PM

A PSU doesn't have any moving parts, usually what fails with a PSU are the electrolytic capacitors breaking down. Aside from that anything else would cause a quickly noticeable problem, these failures would be such as the transformer or board components.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:19 AM

The power supply does have a moving part and that is the fan. Granted it is a relatively minor part of the unit. Over time, things break down and eventually stop working.

3939.png

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:37 AM

I tend to include fans as part of the overall cooling system, but yes, they are a moving part in the PSU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users