Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Tools software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:09 AM

Hello again,
I am looking for opinions about PC tools antivirus/firewall. Is there something wrong with the programs?? The last two weeks I encountered several cases of people who had a PC Tools product installed and after installation the PC didnt work properly (slow, etc)? The cases I checked didnt reveal virusses, but rather annoying behaviour.
Is this merely coincidence or is it a known trouble-maker?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:47 AM

It looks like, per HMOS testing, that it uses too much resources on the system. I would recommend waiting until the next release, and just use some free alternatives. Apparently, over at PC Tools, they are compiling a fix for this resource issue.

Apparently, the scanning engine PCTAVSVC.exe is really hurting systems down in resources. A fix should be out soon, I repeat. Antivirus service, as saw as PCTAVSVC.exe is the worst.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Topic Starter

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,825 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:18 AM

Thanx Jay, this confirms exactly what I saw, systems with low memory (512 or less) completely freezing up (well, not quite, but really sluggish).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#4 FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:54 PM

The AV had intervals of several days between defs updates and never over the weekend. :thumbsup:
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users