Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows XP: The future

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:46 AM

New, uploaded page from Microsoft, which answers many questions about Windows, particularly about Windows XP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:41 PM

Summary: Windows XP will be supported until 2014, Vista rules, but it nownowNOW!!!!! :thumbsup:

Seriously, it read like one big ad for Vista.

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:53 PM

Thats funny, they keep pushing the support date for windows XP later and later. even with the release of WIndows 7 coming up. Makes one wonder which version of windows really is the best out there.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:22 AM

But....but....I like Windows XP! Not only is it easier for me to find things and not have to worry about system resources on this laptop vs Vista....but XP is also a funny keyboard smilie thingy!!!! (whatever they're called)

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#5 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:26 AM

Yes, one big ad for Vista. Whats next, Windows Vista users get notification to upgrade to Windows 7 because it is so much safer and better. Microsoft should draw the line between advertising and writing articles.

#6 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:42 AM

Makes one wonder which version of windows really is the best out there.

I don't think they know themselves mate :thumbsup:
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#7 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

So can I put off updating to SP3 until July 2010?????
regards
Nawtheasta

Edited by Nawtheasta, 17 March 2009 - 04:39 PM.

#8 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:37 PM

How wonderful is it that companies and homes are still using Windows XP. Most said forget the upgrade, I'll stick to XP.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:55 PM

lol I just did a build for my dad and he requested windows XP I mean seriously microsoft take a hint lol

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:41 PM

The beauty of the Internet: ALL SOFTWARE LIVES ON in torrents :thumbsup:

Besides, where else are you going to get a copy of Windows 95?
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:35 PM

We do not recommend the use or torrents because of the likelihood of infections and we also do not promote the theft of copyrighted material as it is against forum rules
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:58 AM

I'm not upgrading to Vista; I'm happy with XP. Besides, my computer would be hampered by running Vista, and I don't want to have to spend lots of cash on upgrades (or buy a whole new rig), until my current one dies. Since its only three years old, and my parents old XP computer lasted for six, I'm going to try and squeeze every drop of life from my computer.

We do not recommend the use or torrents because of the likelihood of infections and we also do not promote the theft of copyrighted material as it is against forum rules

I've used torrents; and exactly 50% of the time, I got a virus..which is why I don't like to use them, even though there ARE legal files you can download. It just seems like everyone who goes on them is downloading a movie that hasn't even been released in theaters yet, or bootlegging Photoshop or Windows, because, truthfully, most of them are.

Personally, I think that if you download something illegally, and then get a virus, its poetic justice. :thumbsup: Unfortunately, people not getting bootlegs can also get infected, so its still not a good idea to use torrents.

#13 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 01:56 AM

I have XP Home on 3 machines and have no wish to install Vista unless I absolutely have to.
They keep putting the cut off date back as so many people are happy with XP.
I will wait till Windows7 is released.
I haven't got money to throw away,just because M$ keep trying to sell you something,which you really doen't need.
So what if XP is slower and less Candy,we don't all want or need Rocket Ship OS's.

You said that well,rms4evr. You can get Viruses any moment on the Internet,but more so with Torrents.
Sometimes it's the only way to get a Program,that you need,and is no longer available by legit means.
I am yet to come across someone,who at some stage,hasn't downloaded a Torrent.
IMO,the only ones that haven't, are the ones that don't know how to.
If you get a Virus from Torrents,which you will,it's not fair to expect the Techies to spend hours and fix your problems,all the time.
If a Member submits a second HJT and shows they are still downloading Torrents when they have already been warned,then they should be refused help,and let them Pay to get their OS cleaned.
What you do with your own Computer,is no one else's business,but don't come crying for help,when it crashes.
Pay the penalty. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 23 March 2009 - 02:13 AM.

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:19 AM

Vista's not bad, Blackspyder waits for AmazingAndrew to slap him with a copy of the GNU GPL, I mean it goes against my whole moral system with it being Closed Source and Pay software, but it's been very stable for me. Note the for me part, it has not been for my Grandmother (the whole purpose why I keep Vista and don't do a "Purifying" Ubuntu 8.10 install, well that and battery life), but there's something to be said for user knowledge. One can install an AV and AS but if it isnt being used it wont work and when you allow the Nerd Squad to disable your firewall bad things happen. I give her's a 12 month life span, then I'll be able to move her to Ubuntu. :thumbsup:

Won't be going W7 unless I buy another PC with it pre-installed.

The future belongs to Ubuntu.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users