Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system partion losing space rapidly in Sever 2003

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 El_Nino

El_Nino

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:19 AM

It all started a little over a week ago when the server back-up would not run due to a lack of free space on C:. The back up is not stored on C:, but on an external USB hard drive (F:). I removed the script.bkf and the recovery folder from ExchangeSvr than re-ran the back up wizard from the server mangement gui. I selectively deleted and emptied several unistall, log and temp files from the system partition to gain almost 1 GB of free space on a 12GB system partition. However, when I forced the back up to run the following day, I received an error that I did not have enough room on C: to run the back up. It had gone down to less than 10MB. What?! I even rebooted the server after applying some MS updates thinking what ever was choking the server C: would flush out. No such luck. I really do not what to do next. Something is eating up my free space on my C: consequenlty not allowing for the server back up to run. Please Help. Might I have a virus?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:16 PM

Hello El_Nino,

You can download and run either/both of the following (free) programs to give you a graphical "picture" of all the files on your system so that you can easily see what file, or group of files, occupies (consumes) so much disk space:

SequoiaView:

http://w3.win.tue.nl/en/research/research_...on/sequoiaview/

WinDirStat:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/windirstat/

With that information (file and/or folder names), it will be easier to determine what program(s) is/are writing so much data to the disk.

The web site for WinDirStat says that it (WinDirStat) runs on Server 2003; I'm not sure if SequoiaView runs on Server 2003.

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:42 PM

The web site for WinDirStat says that it (WinDirStat) runs on Server 2003; I'm not sure if SequoiaView runs on Server 2003.
[/quote]

We use this at work all the time...a great little tool.
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users