Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drives Changed After Reboot; Still Changing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CrossCut49

CrossCut49

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

So, very recently I have run into quite an epidemic, that is driving my crazy. I am not an expert when it comes to computers, so hopefully somebody here can help me out.

I rebooted my computer not too long ago. The system gave me an option to boot in an earlier version of Windows, or Windows 7. I chose the earlier version as my networking card wasn't Windows 7 or Vista supported. So, my computer booted into XP like usually I have it do. This time however, something unusual happened.

Now, just note quickly that before the reboot, one of the few things I did was add another virutal drive to Daemon Tools.

Proceeding, when I had rebooted, I had noticed that 3/4 of my desktop icons were not displaying properly. Fine, I'll use TuneUp Utilities to repair the problem. As I expected, it didn't work. Now, when I check "My Computer" I have noticed that the virtual drives I had before reboot is gone, and my alternate drive (D) where I store my large files, is now E, which I suppose is the reason for the icons not displaying properly. Ok, no problem, I'll just change the shortcuts again and just deal with the fact D is now E and E is now D. However, when I launched Daemon Tools again, I couldn't add a Virtual Drive again (Just in case anyone was wondering, I was trying to get a copy of Office 07. I promise to the good lord, I did buy it, but I won't go into details).

Now, the core that Windows is stored on is now on the P drive. I thought it might be a virus, but SuperAntiSpyware found no problems. Everything's jumbled around, and I do not know what the problem is. I would reboot, but I'm afraid that another unexpected turn of events may occour. If anyone has any advice or tips, then I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Thanks,
Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:10 PM

I haven't used Daemon Tools but I have read that if it is set to "Secure mode" it can cause problems with drive letter assignments.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users