Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista vs xp

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 justjeena

justjeena

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:14 PM

I'm trying to change my system back to xp with the disc on a pre-installed vista computer, and it's not working!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:20 PM

When you try to run XP what happens? But before you start I would do a search for XP drivers that are compatible whith your hardware.
MCP
MSDST

#3 justjeena

justjeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:38 PM

My laptop has pre-installed vista home basic...... when i put the xp disc in, the option *install xp * is not available for me to choose..... the other options (are available) ** learn more about the setup process, *8perform additional tasks, and **check system compatbility.... I need help, or instructions on what, and how to do this....PLEASE?!?!?!?!

#4 justjeena

justjeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:27 AM

can it be done?

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

can it be done?

Hi, as I said before don't rush in get your drivers sorted first. What is the make and model number of your PC? If you do not know download SIW and post results.
http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html
MCP
MSDST

#6 willy800

willy800

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

I'll be watching this thread. I want to do the same. I have XPHome and XPPro reinstallation discs from my other computers, but want to take my daughters system, which is Vista Home, and change it to XP.
What drivers should be looked up and downloaded before beginning?
Thanks,
Tim

Edited by willy800, 27 March 2009 - 12:52 PM.

#7 Toxicity3440

Toxicity3440

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:27 PM

I purchased an HP laptop with Vista x64 on it assuming I would be able to change it to XP. Unfortunately after much research I found out that, although possible, changing over to XP would be a very bad decision on my part because the only graphics card drivers available are for a different card, although apparently still work, and are out of date. I'm a gamer and a film editor and I need up to date graphics drivers.

P.S. justjeana: is it really necessary, when asking a question, to end every sentence with three periods and then end the entire post with "PLEASE!?!??!?!" No it really isn't. if you wan't people to take you seriously in the future I suggest refraining from chat speak.

#8 Promethius

Promethius

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:46 PM

To install XP on a system that has Vista you have to do the following.

First find all drivers for the computer (good luck on newer systems as they usually only make Vista drivers since XP is not going to be supported sometime in the near future (sooner than some of you think.)

After getting the drivers and your sure that they will work.

Put Disc into computer (while its on) and reboot the system.

Boot from the windows XP disc (pres f10, F12 whatever to boot from disc.

Once you get into the boot part of the disc you have to delete all previous partions that are on the hard drive, if you try to do a normal install over Vista this will not work.

Once you have deleted all other partions on the hard drive, select the empty partition that is left and follow directions on the screen. Everything should work fine from there.

Hope this all helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users