Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will NOT turn on! Please HELP!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bradlee22

Bradlee22

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:07 PM

Ok, this problem was created by me messing with something I shouldn't have been so none the less "lesson learned", anyway this is how this debacle got started:

I use my computer in my car alot for work, GPS, paperwork that kind of thing so instead of tying up my power outlet with my computer I thought I would install a permanent power supply (Genius). Lucky me there was already a power cord in my car from a previous computer but the connector tip was not compatible with my computer, so I applied logic, right? The obvious thing to do would be to get a cord that would fit my computer replace the cord in the vehicle with it and WHALA!! Right? WRONG! The resulting damage was this:

- With the power cord plugged in the battery would hold charge but would NOT charge, nor did the battery icon indicate that the power cord was plugged in. With the power cord unplugged the battery ran off what remaining battery power it had until it went dead, and now.....nothing.......nodda........zilch! What have I done? Is my $1200.00 computer fried? (by the way....the waranty.....expired.....LAST MONTH!!!) Have I really F'd up this time? I guess the obvious thing do to do would be to find away to charge my battery and just use the A/C plug all the time but I would rather fix the problem if possible and put this embarrasing incident behind me! Any help you guys can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Thanks!!!

The system is a Dell XPS Laptop model M1330 runing Windows Vista Home

Edited by Bradlee22, 15 March 2009 - 11:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:12 PM

will it boot up off of AC power? if so you may have just fried the battery and purchasing a new battery may solve your diliemma. If it wont boot off AC power it may have done a lot more then that.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Bradlee22

Bradlee22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:02 AM

Unfortunately no, right now I can't turn the computer on at all. The battery is dead and while before the battery went dead having the AC power plugged in kept the battery from draining (ran for several days like this) the battery would not charge, and once the battery went dead the AC cord alone would not turn the computer on.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:15 PM

The first step would be to see if the cord that you put in your car is getting any voltage through it. A cheap multimeter from someplace like Home Depot can tell you that. If it's not getting voltage, then that's most likely why your battery is dead.

If it is getting voltage, how much voltage is it? It may be too much for the system, and you may have fried it.

If you have the original power cord, try plugging that into the wall and checking to see if that works (it'll take a few seconds for enough charge to build up, so wait at least 30 seconds before trying to turn it on). If you don't have a cord, visit a store that stocks Dell's and try one of their cords if they'll let you.

Then try all of the above again, but remove the battery before trying it.

Wiggle the place where the cord plugs into the system. Does it feel loose? If so, the connection between the socket and the motherboard could be broken.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Bradlee22

Bradlee22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

Yes the cord in the car was getting power, it has a 2 amp fuse in it. I have plugged the system back into the wall with the power cord that I know works and nothing.

This is what I know:

- I know the computer itself isn't fried because it worked fro several days after my attempt to run the system off the car, with the AC cord plugged in.

-With the AC plugged in to the wall, power was getting to the battery and was maintaining the batteries charge but not charging the battery, no icon to indicate that the AC cord was plugged in just the battery icon, but no power is getting from the cord to the computer which leads me to believe that the battery is fine but something has been fried between the power cord and where the computer receives power from the AC cord.

So I guess this is where I have to take it somewhere to have someone open it up and look at it, right? Any suggestions?

Edited by Bradlee22, 16 March 2009 - 04:55 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

Yep, I'd suspect that it's most likely a problem with the jack in the computer. A 2 amp fuse should have protected it from overpowering.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users