Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Login Problem - Loops over and over

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 voros

voros

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

Suddenly, with pretty much no recent changes I can no longer login to Windows XP. I'm the only one on the machine so it normally just boots straight to the desktop.

Instead it now boots to the desktop briefly, kicks it back to the welcome screen and asks me to select a user. I do that, it logs in and then quickly logs back out and back to the user select screen. Safe mode, last working config both give the same response. Safe mode with Administrator login is the same thing.

Did some internet research on a different machine. I checked for WSAUPLOADER.EXE using the install disk and it wasn't present in the SYSTEM32 directory.

So now I'm kind of stuck. What can I do with the install disk to fix this?

Edited by voros, 15 March 2009 - 09:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 voros

voros
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

These are the files created/modified on the date the problem occurred that are in the system32 folder:

perfh009.dat
PerfStringBackup.ini
wpa.dbl
nvapps.xml

Am thinking of trying to do a restore to a previous setup, but I'd like to know the problem or else I risk it happening again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users