Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prisma

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sparkleflap

Sparkleflap

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

Hello,

I currently use the Prisma firewall. I was wondering how good this product is and if there are any better alternatives. (Free would be nice) So pretty much, if people could list some good ones and why they are good etc.

Thanks in advance,
Jason Vidler
Technical Support
Ryan Catholic College

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:39 AM

Free firewalls:
Comodo Free Firewall
Online Armor Free
Zone Alarm Free Basic Firewall
PC Tools Firewall Plus
Ashampoo FireWall Free
Outpost Firewall Free
Kerio Personal Firewall (available in a full and limited free edition)

Personal Firewall Ratings & Scores
Personal Firewall Reviews

These types of comparative testing results will vary depending on who is doing the testing, what they are testing for, what versions of the firewall software is being tested, etc. There are no universally predefined set of standards/criteria for testing and each test will yield different results. Thus, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results. Then you have to consider the features offered by each firewall, the amount of resources utilized and how it may affect system performance.

Choosing a firewall is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability/experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular firewall that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sparkleflap

Sparkleflap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:04 PM

I know all of this, however I was trying for some personal prefrences and reasons to why they are preferred. Preferances in my opinion are a better test.
Jason Vidler
Technical Support
Ryan Catholic College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users