Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot CD for XP directly to DOS prompt?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 WontGetLost

WontGetLost

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

New here, and hoping for help with a unique problem.
My system boots up fine all the way to the "administrator" "compaq_owner" "guest" login screen.
My mouse is frozen and my keyboard in nonfunctional so I can't move to the password box to enter my password.
I can't go to safemode and restore my computer to an earlier time for the same reason.
I've already used my system recovery option F-10 so that won't work anymore either.
The problem is NOT with my mouse/keyboard. They both worked fine, but since I installed "StopZilla", my system has been really messed up, including the above.
While I'm writing this, my hard drive is grinding away doing who knows what for 30 minutes already, and my screensaver "Windows XP" is bouncing around on the black screen. Nothing I can do.
So here's my question: Can I create a boot disk CD for XP that will, after changing the bios boot order, boot me directly to a dos prompt so I can just type in C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and return my system to a usable condition?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:02 AM

If you have an XP installation CD, you can boot from there and do a repair-installation (just boot from CD and follow the instructions, it asks automatically if you want to repair or install, just choose repair).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:32 AM

You cannot run or enter XP...from DOS. AFAIK, no one can initiate XP setup from a pure DOS mode.

You can, using the XP CD, enter the command prompt mode and then install XP, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307848

Louis

#4 WontGetLost

WontGetLost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:43 AM

You cannot run or enter XP...from DOS. AFAIK, no one can initiate XP setup from a pure DOS mode.

You can, using the XP CD, enter the command prompt mode and then install XP, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307848

Louis

Hi and thanks for the quick reply!
Unfortunately I don't have the XP CD. If I can get one, will I need the mouse to select anything before I get to the command prompt? If so, that might not be an option. In which case, I'll need some other option to save my files and stuff.
If I could just get this darn mouse (driver) to load/work!!!
Thanks again.
Mike

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:19 AM

If you boot from the CD, the drivers are loaded from the CD, so if the mouse/keyboard are allright they will work. To do a repair/install you dont need to be at the command prompt, XP setup will prompt you for options (all with keyboard, f3, f8, enter, etc).
Have you tried last known good configuration (same screen as where you can choose safe mode option)?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 Luser

Luser

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:39 AM

Unfortunately I don't have the XP CD. If I can get one, will I need the mouse to select anything before I get to the command prompt? If so, that might not be an option. In which case, I'll need some other option to save my files and stuff.

You dont need mouse in XP recovery console or install menus if you run it from DOS, only need a working keyboard.
Dont want to have problems with your computer?
Solution : install a good free anti virus, anti spyware & and stay away from misleading applications. Update your OS and vital programs as often as you can, to shut down those open security holes.
Stay away from shareware and trailware applications, avoid installing browser addins and toolbars. Read up on things before trying new applications.

Learn more about : Viruses, malmware & trojans | Need a bootdisk? | Want to know what that EventID mean? | Cybercrimes what is that?

#7 WontGetLost

WontGetLost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

If you boot from the CD, the drivers are loaded from the CD, so if the mouse/keyboard are allright they will work. To do a repair/install you dont need to be at the command prompt, XP setup will prompt you for options (all with keyboard, f3, f8, enter, etc).

Most excellent. Thank you!

Have you tried last known good configuration (same screen as where you can choose safe mode option)?

Last know good configuration still leaves me with a disabled mouse.
Are there perhaps any links for the ISO of the XP CD I need for the system recovery/repair?
Thanks again.
Mike

#8 WontGetLost

WontGetLost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

You dont need mouse in XP recovery console or install menus if you run it from DOS, only need a working keyboard.

As for the "XP Recovery" thing, I used it already and it created XP again from the D partition. That's what I've been using, but when that got infected with stuff, I tried Stopzilla on it and when I deleted the 250 parasites, it never worked well again and finally, now, when I try the XP Recovery with F-10, I get the BSOD with a fatal error message, so that's no longer an option. My last chance is the XP system recovery disc which normally comes with the OS/computer but I have misplaced it. Just on a lark, I used my old Win ME system recovery disk, and changed the boot order to boot from the CD first, and that works for sure, unfortunately, it doesn't recover XP, LOL>
Thanks though.
Mike

#9 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

:thumbsup:

Perhaps you can borrow a XP Disk or even get one cloned from a Computer Shop. That is quite Legal for Window's Systems as long as you have a Legitimate Code, usually on the side of your Machine.

:flowers:

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

FWIW: IMO, you seem to be confused about what "recovery console" is, as opposed to "recovery options" built-in by a system manufacturer.

The Windows Recovery Console is a tool for repairing Windows...while "recovery options" built-in by a system manufacturer are primarily there to revert the system to the same state it was when purchased.

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

The Recovery Console In Windows XP, http://commandwindows.com/recovery.htm

For any explanation of system manufacturer recovery/restore options...users should consult the system owner's manual provided by the manufacturer...or the manufacturer's website.

Louis

#11 WontGetLost

WontGetLost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:06 AM

:)Okay, I've been paying attention. I did some reading and research, and finally made myself an XP recovery disc from the file: XPRC.iso ... so far so good. I can now see the files on my system. I have a dos prompt C:\ and I can navigate around, however, when I type "rstrui.exe" in the "c:\windows\system32\restore" directory, and hit enter I get "The command is not recognized" even though the file is clearly there. I just want system restore to pop up. Am I missing something? Did I forget a command?
Ideas?
Thanks again for any help in advance :thumbsup:
I'm just soooo close...
Mike

#12 WontGetLost

WontGetLost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:35 AM

Ooops, spoke too soon, whereas I can navigate around the emulated dos, I'm finding out that many of the areas I'm trying to check the dir on are "access is denied". Perhaps because when it asked for the administrater password at the bootup, I just hit enter, then I hit the repair xp option, and it just takes me to the cmd prompt.
Fact is, I don't recall the admin password, just the "owner" password. I've heard there are ways to access the correct password, or whatever, but I can't even display the dir of c:\program_files.
Now what?
Yikes...

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:38 AM

DOS hasn't been used in Windows since Windows 98, what you are referring to are Command Line entries. You can read more about this here.

It looks like you need to run a repair installation, and yes... you will need the installation disk. Contact the manufacturer of your computer to get a copy of the disk, depending of the manufacturer is could be free or cost a small fee. The reason that you want to do a repair installation is that you will not lose your data which you would if your used the recovery partition or reinstalled the operating system. Once you have the disk follow the directions below.

Note: The system repair function will remove any updates you have previously installed that are not included on the CD. Drivers will also be reverted to their original XP versions, as well as some settings (network & performance settings may sometimes be reset to their defaults). It may be necessary to reactivate your Windows XP as well. When finished, you will have to download all of the updates from Microsoft Windows Update, because they are all replaced during repair.

Boot the computer from the XP CD. You may need to change boot order in the BIOS so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order.

When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair isn't one of the option end the installation, this will mean that you will need to do a fresh installation of XP.

The repair will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot, the repair installation will continue after the reboot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 WontGetLost

WontGetLost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:47 PM

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
You do not want to choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R.

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

Uhoh,"Setup cannot find the End User Licensing Areement <EULA>.
Setup cannot continue. To quit, press F3.
???

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:00 PM

You have a legal version of XP which you are using?

Are you using a genuine Microsoft XP CD to do the attempted install?

Louis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users