Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are there any good new anti-spyware/anti-malware programs?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 audiodrome

audiodrome

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

I'm always trying to keep up with the latest and greatest anti-spyware and anti-malware programs. I use Avast as my anti-virus program and for my main anti-spyware/anti-malware programs I use:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Spybot - Search & Destroy
SpywareBlaster
SUPERAntiSpyware

I also sometimes use:

Ad-Aware
a-squared
RogueRemover

Are there any other good programs I should know about? I figure the more the better!

Thanks!

Edited by audiodrome, 15 March 2009 - 08:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,885 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:36 AM

Spyware Terminator.
-- Web Security Guard is included in the download but not required. After installation you will be prompted to Enable Web Security Guard Toolbar. This browser add-on (similar to Site Advisor) is enabled by default so be sure to uncheck the box if you do not want it installed. If you install WSG by mistake, it can easily be removed later via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
-- If you already have an anti-virus application, there is no need to install the optional Clam AntiVirus integration. ClamAV does not have a real time scanning engine but you can integrate it into ST's Realtime Shield to include virus scanning support.

However, you can overkill your system with resource heavy security programs that will drain your resources and slow down performance. Sometimes you just have to experiment to get the right combo for your particular system as there is no universal solution that works for everyone.

mvps.org is no longer recommending Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware due to poor testing results. See here - (scroll down and read under Freeware Antispyware Products) Further, most people don't understand Spybot's TeaTimer or how to use it and that feature can cause more problems than it's worth.

While not free, I recommend using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and taking advantage of the Protection Module which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology monitors every process and stops malicious processes before they can infect your computer. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires reqistration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as it utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 audiodrome

audiodrome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:49 AM

Which version of Spyware Terminator do you recommend - the one with real-time protection?

So you recommend upgrading to the pay version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?

Is there any harm in leaving Spybot S&D running on my computer or should I remove it? Couldn't I just disable the TeaTimer function?

As I said, I hardly ever run Ad-Aware as it seems pretty useless to me, so I'll probably just dump that one.

Edited by audiodrome, 16 March 2009 - 09:51 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,885 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

Which version of Spyware Terminator do you recommend - the one with real-time protection?

There is only one version and it provides real-time protection. Although older versions are available but they too, provide the same protection.

So you recommend upgrading to the pay version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware?

Yes.

Is there any harm in leaving Spybot S&D running on my computer or should I
remove it? Couldn't I just disable the TeaTimer function?

No harm leaving it, just be aware that is not as effective on a lot of today's malware. I would disable TeaTimer.

#5 Swordie

Swordie

• Members
  • 792 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:06 PM

If you install Spyware Terminator, I suggest turning off S&D's TeaTimer.
Who said I couldn't have everything?

#6 audiodrome

audiodrome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:06 PM

What does TeaTimer do and how do you disable it?

Edited by audiodrome, 16 March 2009 - 07:09 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,885 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:26 AM

Spybot FAQ: What is TeaTimer
Spybot Tutorial: Overview - 8. Resident explains the Immunize function, Resident SDHelper and Resident TeaTimer

How to Enable/Disable TeaTimer

#8 tokatee

tokatee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

McAfee's Stinger

Hauri's ViRobot

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

I noticed in my travels that Avira is getting into the security suite business. I think it was on CNet.

#10 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

The last time I checked, Malwarebytes has stopped supporting RogueRemover.

#11 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:22 AM

You're right LloydT about RogueRemover. From their site: "The RogueRemover product line has been discontinued. The good news is that all of the great core technologies in RogueRemover and more are included in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware." http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users