Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Bootloop Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jde68

jde68

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

Windows XP professional keeps cycling through bootup. I can't even boot in safe mode. Could be one of two things -- I had CC cleaner do a registry cleanse today or a coupon printing program from coupons.com may have been infected. What can I do to either fix it or grab some files off it? As always your advice is much appreciated. -joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

Can you boot into "Last Known Good Configuration"?
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 jde68

jde68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

No it goes into a blue screen that says defragging pagesystem file

#4 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:46 PM

No it goes into a blue screen that says defragging pagesystem file

Does it look like this:
Posted Image

This is due to Sysinternal's PageDefrag, which is a legitimate program.

When you say "cycling through bootup," what do you mean? Does it automatically restart itself?

Not able to boot into Safe Mode seems like a malware infection. See if this helps you fix the Safe Mode problem, then you'll probably want to start a topic in the Am I Infected forum to make sure you are free of malware.

Download and run Safe Boot Key Repair

We need to repair Safe Mode
  • Please download Safe Boot Key Repair and save it to your desktop.
  • Run Posted Image by double clicking on it or Right-click on it and click Open
  • Copy and paste the resultant log here in your next reply.
Let me know how it goes.

Edited by jntkwx, 16 March 2009 - 05:51 PM.

Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

#5 jde68

jde68
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

yes, it looks exactly like the picture you posted. And yes, it kept restarting itself. Now it says I have a corrupt system32\config\system file and is asking for a setup cd rom. I don't think I have this disk, can I download it to another computer, copy it to disk, and then run set up? And then maybe I will be able to run safeboot.

#6 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

Hi Jde68 not to sure on how to fix this but it slightly sounds like a malware infection especially if now the system32 is corrupteed. you will need a boot cd for you're OS. this will allow you to system repair you're computer and rewrite the corrupted file such as mentioned system 32 .

I am not sure on how to make one and not sure if its legal or not. you will probebly NEED to find a OS disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users