Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multi boot question

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:08 PM

I first installed XP on my PC. I then took an exact image of it with acronis true image 2009. After that I installed win 7 using a quick format as it was installed.

Would this cause my PC to take 4 minutes to bootup from the moment I power on my PC until I finally get to my desktop?

thoughts?

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:59 AM

Is there any chance getting any help with this plz?

thx

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:09 PM

We'll need a bit more info. From what you've stated it appears that you formatted the drive before installing Windows 7. At what point does Windows Vista come into this (this is the Vista forum)? Did you format before installing Windows Vista?

FWIW - if this is a Windows 7 question, then you'll get more help over in the Windows 7 forum ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/167/windows-7/ ). Also, Windows 7 has some very good built in tools for troubleshooting this sort of startup issue - have you tried them?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

Sorry, I forgot to add that I added vista after XP and I am back to getting the 4 min wait until complete bootup and I am wondering if the quick format instead of a full format could be the cause? This is all part of a tri-boot PC.

Edited by bruinator, 16 March 2009 - 07:44 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:12 AM

The type of format won't cause the issue - although some boot managers can slow things down a bit.

There's a period of time between pushing the button and when you select the OS - how long is that?
Then there's the period of time between selecting the OS and the Desktop being usable - how long is that for...
- XP
- Vista
- Win7

We'll need the approximate times for each as it's a part of the troubleshooting process. For example, if all 3 OS's are slow, then we may suspect a problem with the hard drive. If not, then we'd suggest running a fix on the slowest OS to see if that helps.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:55 PM

The type of format won't cause the issue - although some boot managers can slow things down a bit.

There's a period of time between pushing the button and when you select the OS - how long is that?
Then there's the period of time between selecting the OS and the Desktop being usable - how long is that for...
- XP
- Vista
- Win7

We'll need the approximate times for each as it's a part of the troubleshooting process. For example, if all 3 OS's are slow, then we may suspect a problem with the hard drive. If not, then we'd suggest running a fix on the slowest OS to see if that helps.

When I turn my PC on and when it comes to selecting an OS is roughly 3.5 minutes. The times it takes to select an OS and see my desktop is 20 to 30 seconds. When I had win 7 on my PC only it took the full amount of time. After I took an image of win 7 with aconis, I put XP on my PC with no other OS on it and it took within a minute from power on till desktop. Then when I added Vista to it, it started to have the above issue again, I then added Win 7 to my PC and the problem still occurs.

thx

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:24 PM

This sounds like an issue with your hardware, most likely with your hard drive. It's unusual in that it doesn't happen with XP, but does happen with the other OS's. Try running a bootable diagnostic from the hard drive manufacturer to test your hard drive. There's links to the most common one's in this topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

#8 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

The hard drive that Vista and XP are on is less than a week old so I tend to doubt it is that. It started to do it on the HD which win 7 is on which is about 3 YO.

Edited by bruinator, 17 March 2009 - 09:20 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:06 PM

OK, you know best - good luck!

#10 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

OK, OK, I am running the seagate scan on both HD's as we speak. I will let you know the results when they are done.

thx

#11 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 04:39 PM

Did full tests on both HD's and they passed all tests. Now, when can I try plz?

thx

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:53 PM

If you tested both drives in 20 minutes, you've likely done the quick/short test. This is not adequate to determine if the hard drive is dying. You must do the long/complete/advanced test in order to scan the entire drive for problems. As I recall, SeaTools may also allow you to scan the file system and the hard drive controllers - if so, then do that also.

#13 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:46 PM

I did use seatools and I have done long complete tests as they were run all night long so I do not know where you came up with 20 minutes. Next step plz?

thx

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:56 PM

Sorry, it was my eye problems (your previous posts were 1 day and 20 minutes apart). :huh:

Try the Windows Memory Diagnostic ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/using-vista-windows-memory-diagnostics-tool/ )

Then you'll have to start delving deep into the Vista performance logs.
To start, go to Start and type in "perfmon /report" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
- after the report generates, let us know what items of interest that it shows.
Next, go to Start and type in "compmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- first expand the Reliability and Performance heading, then on Monitoring Tools, then on Reliability Monitor and let us know any issues that show up there.
- next expand the Event Viewer heading, then the Windows Logs, and check the System and Application log files for errors during startup. Let us know what you find there also.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

Since you're viewing the topic, I've added this reply (rather than editing my previous post).

I'd suggest that you try running Startup Repair with your Windows 7 DVD (here's the Vista instructions, Windows 7 is very similar: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/ )

It can't hurt things, and it may just help. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users