Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dialup modem ES56T-PI

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jnewell

jnewell

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:47 PM

Hi there,... I have an elderly PC still very serviceable running XP Pro. I want to access this machine using Remote Desktop
via a dial up connection. My objective is to access the broadband link on this machine, remotely from my laptop. The reason is I am paying for the broadband link anyway, and have free national calls into the telephone number connected, so
I think I might as well use this free dial up access for internet access and also accessing files on my home PC.

The modem on the home PC is a ESS Technology Inc ES56T-PI. In device manager the options for wake up machine, and
bring PC out of standby are enabled but nothing seems to happen on receipt of an incoming call. If necessary I will replace
the modem. I've tried to find the modem (and ESS Technology) on the net but with no conclusive success.

Any ideas or suggestions on my best way forward on this. Dial up access in is a must as I'm often in areas without hotspots,
internet cafes, libraries or people! just the occasional phone socket.

Thanks in hope... John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

Sometimes a modem will only wake up a system from "standby". not a system completely powered down.

Does the modem have a WOL connector? If it does, is it connected to the WOL port on the motherboard?

Any BIOS options to enable WOL/Wake on LAN?

Edited by dpunisher, 15 March 2009 - 05:14 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 jnewell

jnewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:57 PM

Hi Dpunisher,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry to have taken so long to get back on.

The documentation for the modem makes no mention of a WOL connector either HW or SW. In fact it gives
almost no info at all. The docm is in readme files on the installation disk but not very helpful. Basically says
plug it in and it will work.

I've looked in the BIOS and in Power Management options there is Wake Up Events. I've set this to Modem
Ring Resume - ENABLED. This has made no difference. Also under PM Options the modem is shown as using
IRQ3 . Other options available for allocation are NA,3,4,5,7,9,10,11. IRQ3 is shown as COM2 and IRQ12 is
shown as PS/2 keyboard (which I don't have)

In Device Manager COM2 is shown on IRQ3 at 02F8-02FF
Modem is shown on IRQ12 at E800-E807
Use Auto Settings is ticked and greyed out
Allow device to bring computer out of standby is ticked.

Any further advice would be very welcome as I din't know where to go on this. Thanks.

Jnewell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users