Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware - maybe - can't sign on

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 momgbb

momgbb

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:32 PM

I have some variation of MS Antispyware 2009. I have been working through this forum trying different things. I have it cleaned up some, but the last solution I tried included booting in safe Mode. I selected Administrator as the user and as it was loading the desktop, I decided I should have signed on with the user we usually use (not Administrator), so I did Alt-Ctl-Del and shutdown.

Now, after I select either user, the desktop starts to load - I see the background - but before the icons or anything, it logs off and saves settings and goes back to the screen with the users to select for logon.

Safe mode does the same thing.

I have restarted, shut down more than once with the same results.

Because this problem started on the Safe Mode startup, I'm not sure it has anything to do with the MS Antispyware 2009, but I posted to Windows XP forum and they said to try here..

I hope somebody can help me. I really don't want to reload windows.

Windows XP Pro, SP3
2.5 Ghz, 512 MB ram, 80 gig hard drive

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but it has a virus that is variations of MS antispyware2009 - removespyware-threats - online-antimalware-scanner - got it cleaned up some, but was still getting boxes/pages popping up - usually not when I first booted up, logged on - before I messed up the sign on process.

Thx, Cynda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

I hope somebody can help me. I really don't want to reload windows.

I'm afraid that it might be your best option. You're going to need an original retail XP disk and try a repair install, Which should leave everything intact.
Then after that, you will have to deal with the infection
My main concern is how the infection might affect the repair install
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Before the computer was acting up, was System Restore turned on? If so, you can try this:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/204418/how-to-perform-system-restore-for-unbootable-xp-machines/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/201611/how-to-burn-an-iso-file/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 momgbb

momgbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:54 PM

OK. I repaired windows and am right back where I was - starts to load desktop, but before icons show or start menu, it logs back off. I can't try system restore or anything because I can't get on at all.

Now what?

#4 momgbb

momgbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:01 PM

I did get a couple of errors:

Error ocurred loading C:\windows\system32\inetcomm.dll. The file nay not have been installed or it has been corrupted.

and

same error for file C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msoe.dll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users