Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet running Slooow and freezing

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Grantyy

Grantyy

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

The problem below is solved as I have downloaded firefox and ditched IE, it crashed 3 times in 5 mins so no choice, can I repair IE at microsoft.com? or how do I? just been but dont see any download and would like to have know what was causing the slowdown, so long as it is nothing sinister like a hijack I guess it does not matter for now

:thumbsup: Hi, I know a lot of people complain about slow computers but there is a definate problem here, I believe the problem is something to do with when my computer is connected to the internet, I have had problems with the internet recently but doubt that is related?, I had raised a complaint with virgin and it was my modem which was cutting my speed to between 2.8 and 4.2 on speedtest.net, but with the new modem installed It is reading 9.8 which is close enough to the 10mb I am paying for, the problem is now my internet seems even slower than before and when opening pages the very first item that would normally load on a webpage say a banner at the top appears but then the page freezes and takes at least ten seconds to load, the problem was there before but just seems worse now, I believe the problem is with the computer as simple things like closing windows are slow which is best described as when moving the mouse over a button it will take a while for the computer to allow you to click it, my computer is 3ghz with 1 gb ram the problem is only when using the internet including the freezing windows which I find strange as if you want to close a window the computer should just close it sholdn't it? , it seems like a memory problem but closing windows etc is fine when not using the internet, I know when starting the computer the logon sound jumps a bit but has done for a long time, as I said the speed seems fine when tested but in reality I am not getting a 10meg connection, any ideas appreciated as this is driving me crazy :flowers:
Ok I have checked everything I can to do with the internet and have noticed something quite interesting, when running in safe mode the internet speed is back to normal although the screen res is annoying and I dont think it is safe using it this way is it, the one difference I have noticed is when the task manager is open, in safe mode I get a few page faults but when running normal the page faults are climbing 100,000 every sec or two, I have only this page open and ebay and Iexpore has over 7 million page faults and climbing also the thing I mentioned earlier about it loading the first banner, it does that on every web page always the first item then a long pause and the rest follows? either way if it is working in safe mode doe that mean something running in normal mode is slowing it down, I have quit many progs in task manager and no difference, I have AVG installed but always have and never interferred this much, I know people can hack your connection by getting your mac code does this slow your connection as I said the speedtest is fine, overall I would say there is a problem with loading graphics on web pages, that would be my very uninformed view as even on speedtest.net the graphics jump in stages when until loaded and if the speed is coming back ok there must be another explanation but I am lost without doing a full re-install which would cause me problems, I have run scan disk and defrag while in safe mode and done a full virus check which comes up with the same cookies each time and the people on here told me there is no virus to be seen on the hijack this log

Edited by Grantyy, 15 March 2009 - 06:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users