Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big problem - is it Malware?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vasa72

vasa72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

I believe I have a malware problem but have been unsuccessful in attempting some of the fixes I'm seeing in this forum.

Problem: In addition to the internet explorer/google redirect issues I've seen others discuss, I am unable to open almost any file or application. When I do try to open, Firefox for example, a message appears saying "The specified path does not exist." This message appears for most applications including Malwarebytes. I can open Explorer but when I try some of the Malwarebytes download workarounds I've seen suggested on this site they don't work.

For example, I can download the mbam-setup doc, rename it and get it to almost fully install--including the message to reboot. However, when I try to then open the application I get the "path does not exist" message. When I try to go in and right-click to rename the ".exe" file extension, I don't have access to the ".exe" portion of the filename. Thus, when I rename, I get a "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\mbam.bat.exe" "The specified path does not exist" message.

I had Malwarebytes on the machine when this problem arose and I've tried downloading the "updates" file for Mbam only but it too has not worked. I also cannot uninstall old versions of Malwarebytes because I get the "path does not exist" message when I try to open "Add or Remove Programs". Finally, I also have Symantec Antivirus on the machine but it's been of no help.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,386 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:13 PM

when I rename, I get a "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\mbam.bat.exe

It appears you did not properly rename the file as the .exe extension is still there. The renamed file should be mbam.bat.

If you cannot see the file extension, then it's hidden and you will have to Reconfigure Windows XP to show it. Double-click on My Computer, go to Tools > Folder Options and click on the View tab. Under Advanced settings > Files and Folders > check "Show hidden files and Folders" and uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types", then click Apply > OK.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 vasa72

vasa72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:51 AM

Thanks. I wasn't sure if that problem was virus-related or my own ignorance. I'm running the Malwarebytes scan now. Thanks again.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,386 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:31 AM

Not a problem.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif