Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing files after reinstall

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 melinda9723

melinda9723

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:21 AM

I was having some problems out of my pc so I thought reinstalling Win 98SE on top of itself might help. This is the error message I got during setup:
"Cannot find C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\regsvr32.exe ( or one of its components).Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraires are avaliable."

I kept pushing ok and it finally went away but how can I fix this?This is the error message I got at the end of set up and they also come up after restart,It always ask for me ti Insert Windows 98SE cd and press ok and when I do that it still ask to insert cd I am having trouble locating these files:
The file 'cwbaudio.bin" on Windows 98 Second edition CD-Rom cannot be found. Path file was C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PRECOPY
Error Details- The following error occurred: " The file was not found" (error #2) Setup could not finish opening a file on the source disk. Source file " C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\cwbaudio.bin' Destination file C:\SYSTEM\CWBAUDIO.BIN=DRIVER11.CAB'

I changed destination file to C:\WINDOWS\precopy but that didnt work either.I also have the same problem with these files "ksclockf.ax","ksdata.ax","ksinterf.ax", "ksvpintf.ax", "ksuser.dll","cwbase.sys",and "cwbwdm.sys".

I have ran Windows update and run>sfc but that didnt work.Did I screw it up?Thanks for any and all advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:20 AM

No, you didn't screw up. :thumbsup: After you do an "over the top install" as you have done its not unusual to have to reinstall some programs. That is at least partly the case here.

Cannot find C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\regsvr32.exe

Go to Start>Run, type in msconfig and look under the Startup tab to find the associated program. You can uncheck it to stop from running at startup or reinstall.

"ksclockf.ax","ksdata.ax","ksinterf.ax", "ksvpintf.ax", "ksuser.dll","

Those are all associated with a webcam? You may need to reinstall the cam or stop it from running at startup.

cwbaudio.bin and cwbase.sys are associated with a sound card. Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>System and look for any yellow exclamation marks or yellow question marks and let us know what they are. You can get those two files from the 98 CD by going to SFC and using Extract. You need to know where they go. After you extract them, check System again to see if anything changed.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users