Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wlancfg4.exe

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aland08

aland08

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:21 PM

Hi,

Chewy referred me over here with my question. I at one time had my machine connected via a Netgear wireless router. I have long since deleted that software yet recently noticed that the wlancfg4.exe (Netgear, I believe) was always a running process. I searched & found a few more Netgear items(shortcuts & files) still in my system & deleted them as well. wlancfg4.exe was still running though. I then went to sytem config, start-up & noticed that the MA111 Configuration box checked to run on start-up. I deselected & now the wlancfg4.exe is no longer running in the background. Is there something else that I should do? The MA111 Configuration is still present in the start-up section of sytem config. Can't I get rid of it?

Thanks,
Alan
www.happinesshelp.org

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:01 PM

To monitor/adjust startup items...a good tool is AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Do not concern yourself with anything but the Logon tab initially. There is also a tab for drivers which you may want to look at.

I suggest only disabling items initially. If you find that you've made a mistake, you can then go back and reenable them. If you find that you were spot on, then you remove them later.

Louis

#3 aland08

aland08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

hamluis,

Thanks,

Is there a way I can simply delete the MA111 item from the startup menu & my computer completely without having to download & mess with the tool you recommended?

Thanks, Alan

#4 aland08

aland08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

ps- off topic....I deleted the Webclient/Publisher Temp Files from disk cleanup....was that ok to delete?

Thanks

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:59 PM

I cannot see your system...and I have no idea what you are deleting. I've no idea what MA111 means to you, but it means nothing to me...now that I've googled it, it appears to be a Netgear device family.

Generally speaking, anything that disk cleanup turns up...is OK to remove.

FWIW: Msconfig is not meant to be anything other than a diagnostic tool for troubleshooting purposes. It does not reflect all startup items.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSConfig AND http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

Louis

#6 aland08

aland08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:01 PM

yes, MA111 is related to Netgear. I am sorry if I did not make that clear above. I just want to know how or where to remove said item from appearing in the startup directory. I have searched my computer for such files & names & nothing else shows anywhere yet it remains in the startup directory from msconfig. I use Windows XP. My machine is a few years old & always up to date with the latest updates from MS.

Thanks!

Edited by aland08, 15 March 2009 - 05:02 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:00 PM

I believe that I've already informed you of how it should be handled...and where it might appear in that program.

It's up to you if you choose to follow another path.

Louis

#8 aland08

aland08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

I guess I just don't see where it is that you've explained how this is to be done nor can I find the info thru the most recent links you sent. I know how to disable, I need to know how to delete. Maybe I'm dumb but I just don't understand. Thanks anyway.

#9 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

The link that Louis gave you in his first response directs you to Auto-Runs...You can use it to Delete this start-up entry The only other option would be to locate the key in the registry and delete it that way (which I don't recommend unless you are familiar with how the registry works and the circumstances for deleting the wrong key). Following is word for word from Louis's first link on the usage of this really nice program...

Usage
See the November 2004 issue of Windows IT Pro Magazine for Mark's article that covers advanced usage of Autoruns . If you have questions or problems, visit the Sysinternals Autoruns Forum.

Simply run Autoruns and it shows you the currently configured auto-start applications as well as the full list of Registry and file system locations available for auto-start configuration. Autostart locations displayed by Autoruns include logon entries, Explorer add-ons, Internet Explorer add-ons including Browser Helper Objects (BHOs), Appinit DLLs, image hijacks, boot execute images, Winlogon notification DLLs, Windows Services and Winsock Layered Service Providers. Switch tabs to view autostarts from different categories.

To view the properties of an executable configured to run automatically, select it and use the Properties menu item or toolbar button. If Process Explorer is running and there is an active process executing the selected executable then the Process Explorer menu item in the Entry menu will open the process properties dialog box for the process executing the selected image.

Navigate to the Registry or file system location displayed or the configuration of an auto-start item by selecting the item and using the Jump menu item or toolbar button.

To disable an auto-start entry uncheck its check box. To delete an auto-start configuration entry use the Delete menu item or toolbar button.

Select entries in the User menu to view auto-starting images for different user accounts.

More information on display options and additional information is available in the on-line help.

Again, it is entirely up to you if you choose to use Auto-Runs or not...It is simple to use and the price is right...FREE

Edited by OldGrumpyBastard, 15 March 2009 - 07:02 PM.

Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#10 aland08

aland08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 210 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

Your not so grumpy...thank you for your time & effort, it's appreciated. Sounds like I need to download that tool to accomplish what I want to do. I thought there might be another way without having to go through that. Thanks for your detailed explanation...I get it now.

Alan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users