Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OpenOffice.Org 2.0 Beta

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:03 AM

OpenOffice 2.0 Beta Download (English) File size - 84MB

Yes, it's finally looking much better, although only a beta version until the final release, its really more like Office. The appearance is a little bit like Office XP.
Fully functional.

Edited by Izzy, 10 June 2005 - 07:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:59 AM

Rumour has it that the final release is just around the corner, so if you use OO.o for mission critical tasks, continue to use the stable version. The new version looks very good, has a database Access clone, and the on-line documention of the suite gets better each month.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 04:06 PM

i thought someone may want test it out and i haven't had any crashes or problems yet maybe cause i don't use it all day. but i also had heard that it not far away for the final to say it has improved.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:25 PM

I think they are going through the final stages of Beta testing, in which users test the bleepens out of it and submit bug reports on anything they find. It is certainly well enough along to use in a casual way, but don't use it to type that Ph.D dissertation or your final presentation to the company's board of directors. OO.o would be the first to advise its users the potential problems when relying on Beta versions for extremely important things.
Regards,
John

#5 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 04:08 AM

i do have a Works Word Processor but it ain't as good as a office Word.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2005 - 01:41 PM

Works is a simplified and userfied version of Office, and is more designed for the very casual user of word processing and spreadsheets. Certainly MS Office is more fully featured, if you are willing to pay the price; OOo is extremely good, MS file compatible, and the new version will have a database application that will compete with Access---you get state of the art for free.
Which of the three you use most likely depends on individual need.
Regards,
John

#7 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:23 AM

I like Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Publisher and Microsoft Outlook. But the trouble with OOo is there ain't a Outlook or Publisher. I know XP has its own Outlook Express. The Office version is better.
Which puts me in a pickle. I have Office 2003 which cost $699 because it was the only version that had publisher in it. The basic has Word, Excel, Outlook. Standard has Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint. Small Business is for small busines only but has Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, And professional which i have has all including Access which isn't installed as with Powerpoint not installed either. I only have Word, Excel, Publisher and Outlook installed. So i payed $699 for the whole suite but only using 4 programs, its like being ripped off. I'm not going to purchase any more Office suites as too expensive. I did previously had office 2000 standard which had Word, Excel, Outlook and seperate purchase of Publisher which cost a total of $450. I was told that office 2000 doesn't work on XP because of the new look. But i could have tried i suppose because i don't notice much difference between them appart from the appearance.

#8 Izzy

Izzy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:27 AM

I have open office org 2.0 beta on my PC as to trying it out and i find Word and Excel (Word Processor and Math) names are a bit strange but i suppose copywright reasons. But just as good for a saving of $400 - 700 depending which suite you would purchase. When the final one comes out i might download it and put it on a CD for my next computer. Sicne it is free. I read an artical about OOo a while ago that MS was trying to sue every user of OOo downloaded after Jun 2004. And they were trying to sue the maker because MS lost heaps of sales since OOo began. I don't know what happened later on though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users