Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I save my Itunes library?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hboyd4

hboyd4

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:24 PM

My computer was diagnosed that it has a virus by the GeekSquad. They quoted me $200 to MAYBE fix the problem, and if that didn't work then they would do a system restore for another $200. Well I just need a basic computer and while I was waiting for them to check out my computer, I saw new computers for $450. Why spend $400 to fix a 4 year old computer... So my parents stopped by and dropped off a new computer for me! How lucky am I???

Now my question is, can I use all the software and hardware from my old computer... or can I possibly transfer the virus to the new computer? I am not messing around this time. P.S. I let my Norton expire and that is why I am where I am right now.... IDIOT!!!!!!

I was using a flashdrive to save my homework to. I have CD's with mp3's that contain voice files for my homework for school. I need to reinstall my wireless desktop card for my internet. I need to reinstall Microsoft Word. Are the music files on my Ipod possibly infected?? Can I safely transfer all of this or not?

I have NO idea how this virus thing works and I am paranoid to transfer something to my new computer.

Thanks for any help or advice. I really appreciate it. I have been having car trouble and I just paid $1000 to get my car fixed and there is nothing I can do about it because I don't know anything about cars, well same goes here so it is nice to have a place to talk to people about your options before spending a bunch of money. :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hboyd4

hboyd4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

I got a virus on my computer, and to make a long story short, my parents were nice enough to get me a new computer the day I found out my computer was ill :-) They didn't want me to get behind on my school work. I have a pretty decent Itunes library and I was wondering how to get them safely off my old computer and onto my new computer. I have an Itunes shuffle (the small one). Can I safely zap the music to my ipod and then plug my ipod into my new computer and zap them back into Itunes?

I don't even think I can get to my Itunes on my sick computer. My computer was running SUPER slow and would just shut off on me in the middle of browsing a website.

What are my options with this? Someone said I have lost anything that wasn't a purchase... in other words anything I have put on from a CD. No big deal there. But have I lost my purchases???

Thanks again for any help!

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

Malware resides only in software files, and not in the actual hardware. If you have a new computer, I would advise installing applications (like MS Office) from the original disk or on-line source rather than copying the files from another drive. Before importing MP3 files or homework documents, you should carefully scan the sources( flashdrive) with your resident Anti-virus (there are many good free AVs that will do this). You may certainly swap your wireless card, but if there is special software involved, load that from the original disk.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 hboyd4

hboyd4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:09 PM

John,

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

I have Norton 2009 security now, should this detect anything or can I still infect my new computer even with this? Could I put a cd with mp3 voice files for my homework without possible infecting the computer? Someone said I could insert my flashdrive but to not open any files, run a scan on it first. Will Norton automatically do this or do I need to run a scan on it first?

#5 hboyd4

hboyd4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:11 PM

You totally answered my question already in your previous post... SHEESH! This virus has me crazy! thanks John!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,938 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:50 PM

Sounds like you could use a few help links to learn more about the various types of infection one may encounter.
What is Malware?
What is Spyware?
What is a Virus?
What is a backdoor Trojan?
What is a Botnet?
What is an IRCBots
What Is A Rootkit?
What is a Network Worm?
Understanding Virus Behavior
Classic Viruses and Infection Methods

I have Norton 2009 security now, should this detect anything or can I still infect my new computer even with this?

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

Someone said I could insert my flashdrive but to not open any files, run a scan on it first.

Yes, scan first.

USB flash drive infections usually involve malware that modifies and loads an autorun.inf (configuration) file into the root folder of all drives (internal, external, removable) along with a malicious executable. When the removable media is inserted (mounted), autorun looks for autorun.inf and automatically executes the malicious file to run silently on your computer. When a flash drive becomes infected, the Trojan will infect a system when the removable media is inserted if autorun has not been disabled.

Keeping Autorun enabled on USB and other removable drives has become a significant security risk due to the increasing number of malware variants that can infect them and transfer the infection to your computer. To learn more about this risk, please read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

Can I safely zap the music to my ipod and then plug my ipod into my new computer and zap them back into Itunes?

Yes but before you download them to your new computer install and run Flash Disinfector Have the ipod plugged in
Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Hold down the Shift key when inserting the drive until Windows detects it to keep autorun.inf from executing if it is present.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: As part of its routine, Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that was plugged in when you ran it. Do not delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection by keeping the autorun file from being installed on the root drive and running other malicious files.

Edited by garmanma, 16 March 2009 - 09:34 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users