Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic Host Process error + start bar reverts to safe mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nomi

nomi

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:04 AM

Hi There,

I have two infuriating problems and despite all best efforts cannot solve them- I think they must be linked as they arrived together but I can't stop or fix any- please help me!

Often when I initially turn my computer on (or at a random interval after I've turned it on) I get a "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problems and needs to close" error message- error signature is:
szAppNAme: svchost.exe
szAppVer: 5.1.2600.2180
szModName:ntdll.dll
szModVer: 5.1.2600.2180

Then a little further into my session my screen will kind of flicker, and the start menu / bottom bar will revert to what I think is a safe mode bar...

Please help me! I have an XP Op System, Up to date Norton running, Broadband Connection (through router) with no fixed IP, Run SpyBot and AdAware and Microsoft AntiSpy religiously but they come up clear.. Have checked and only have the one hosts file that I should.. Have run HiJack this (have logs but I think they are clean), and CWShredder (scan).. All is clean so I don't think it can be malware / adware... can it?!

Any ideas gratefully recieved,

Thanks very much,

Naomi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:10 AM

MS Fix

Theres this hotfix for MS here which may help.

#3 nomi

nomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2005 - 07:18 AM

Hi- thanks for coming back to me, already tried this unfortunately!

Any further ideas? please??!! computer driving me mad!

Naomi

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 10 June 2005 - 08:14 PM

Maybe that dll is corrupted? Run sfc /scannow

Make sure your Windows Updates are, er, up to date.

Try some online scans:

Panda Active Scan online - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
Internet Explorer only. Requires email address.Requires Active-X components to be installed.Approx 12MB download.

Trend Micro Housecall - http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise...call_launch.php
(European version, supports Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox and Opera)

hth
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 nomi

nomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:35 AM

Thanks Rimmer,

I tried sfc / scannow to check for corrupted dll files but all seemed to run through ok- I've tried a couple of times now actually.. it just runs through and then disappears- is this right? I've also previously completed the Panda and Trendmicro scans- to no avail. It's driving me mad- I am completely out of ideas!!!

Naomi

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 13 June 2005 - 06:31 AM

I did a google on your error and people with the same problem reported fixes due to HP printer drivers or sound card issues or a scanner being connected. Basically all driver related problems.
Disconnect your printer and scanner if you have them and see if that changes the situation. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users