Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot Up Issue w/ Windows XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 maximumrock

maximumrock

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:59 AM

I was just going through some past topics.. A friend of mine has a computer (an E-Machine t6534.. She recently got hit by a crap load of spam, spyware... I was helping her out and i really had no choice other than to save her data and reformat.. Well, i have done this.. I loaded XP pro back on it.. everything went well....except i couldnt get online with it at all.. I wasnt sure if this was a result from a bad O/S load or the drivers for the network card were missing..

So today, i loaded the XP pro cd back into it to do a repair....came up right away.. during the process... I had gotten an error... the error said "file \i386\halaacpi.dll could not be loaded. The error code is 7"...

so i had to exit that screen... When i rebooted... It would not load past the logo screen for the E machine (big white E on screen with two options- f2 and f10 for bios and etc...)

well i figured i was screwed.... but while i was on my laptop here. after about 5-6 mins..It finally went to a new dos type screen saying "please select boot device".. I choosed the CD option again...and it seem to load up the windows repair process.. then when it finished.. it rebooted...it was stuck at that logo screen again.. for 5-6 mins...then that screen asking to select a boot device came back up.. this time i choosed the hard drive... once i did this.. the screen went blank.. for about 5 mins..then the windows repair came up to finalize..

Once that completed.. the same thing happened again.. everything seems to load.. but its 5 mins sitting on that logo screen, then another 5 mins for anything else to happpen...

is there a way i can fix this? even if i wanted to reformat again.. my guess it would stick at that logo screen again forever..

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:13 AM

The easy way around this would be to wipe the hdd with a application likeDerik's Boot and Nuke which will overwrite the hdd, and then reinstall the operating system. This is the best way to go if you have had extensive infections, a format only removed the Master File Table, not the files themselves. Some infections can still effect your computer after a format if they haven't been removed. When you get your computer back up and running I would post a topic in the Am I Infected forum to see if any of the files that you reinstall are infected.

Are you using the installation disk that came with that I emachine?

What model is this?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:36 PM

You may find this article useful:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

#4 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

The easy way around this would be to wipe the hdd with a application likeDerik's Boot and Nuke which will overwrite the hdd, and then reinstall the operating system. This is the best way to go if you have had extensive infections, a format only removed the Master File Table, not the files themselves. Some infections can still effect your computer after a format if they haven't been removed. When you get your computer back up and running I would post a topic in the Am I Infected forum to see if any of the files that you reinstall are infected.

Are you using the installation disk that came with that I emachine?

What model is this?

No, she doesnt have the original installation or restore dics that came with it. The Emachine is model " E-Machine t6534"

Thanks for the tip on the boot and nuke :thumbsup:.. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;qpid=1178671#
Help Toggle Side Panel

#5 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

i am running that Dban on that computer right now.. good lord.. it says 97 hrs remaining.. i cant let that run that long as i need to do work on my other PC since i am using the monitor and power cord to run the dban on that pc.... is there a nother way to do this faster?

says its throughput is at around 3mb/s

i am running that Dban on that computer right now.. good lord.. it says 97 hrs remaining.. i cant let that run that long as i need to do work on my other PC since i am using the monitor and power cord to run the dban on that pc.... is there a nother way to do this faster?

says its throughput is at around 3mb/s

#6 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

anyone got anymore suggestions?

#7 maximumrock

maximumrock