Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore files after system recovery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 muzikgurl

muzikgurl

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:24 AM

I have recovered my files (PC Recovery and Recuva) after performing a system recovery. I don't know where to put the system files. My system is Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2. My computer is a Compaq Presario AMD Sempron Processor.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Are you saying that you used recovery software...to recover system files from a partition you could not access or read?

I don't believe those system files will be of any value to you. Recovery software is designed to allow users to recovery data files, not system files.

System files are complex and will not function properly without the proper settings and attendant registry items.

Data files are simple and can be recovered, moved, etc...with no problem.

Louis

#3 muzikgurl

muzikgurl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:08 PM

I went under start, programs, PC Help & Tools, Compaq System Recovery. I wanted to do a partial recovery but it performed a full recovery. I had tried system restore but my restore points did not go to the date I needed. There are a ton of .dll files, .tmp files, .dat files, .exe files, .msp files - there are too many to list. I don't know what they are so I don't want to delete any of them. The only thing I notice that is different than before is when I try to click on a picture on the net and save as, it won't do it and it shuts down my internet connection. Other than that everything is the same. I just have a lot of pictures, songs, documents to rename and put back where they belong. Thanks for any help you can give me.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:57 PM

OK, thanks :thumbsup:.

I'm going to have to defer to someone with knowledge of Compaq systems and the recovery process mentioned because I have a hard time visualizing what you are trying to tell us. Just hold on for inputs from others :flowers:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users