Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing XP on an old PC running Windows 2000 Pro

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 VICTORNOUS

VICTORNOUS

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:30 AM

I have 2 old Compaq computers that have the following serial numbers: 6X1A-JYFZ-80P4 AND 6X1A-JYFZ-80N1
All of them were running windows 2000 Professional, they had small hard disk capacity(20GB) actually they became too slow that I decided to reinstall the operating system but failed failed in both. it will display your hard disk had detected imminent failure replace the disk and try again.
so I decided to buy two hard disk all 80GB and install in both PC but when I tried to boot from XP setup disk, this time it brings the following msg in both PCs 'DS not installed, Insert OS Setup disk and press any key to continue'.

I failed to figure out the problem.
can any one help me out.

VICTORNOUS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

You have two systems...do you have two bona fide XP licenses?

Where did this install CD for XP come from?

I have no idea what DS might pertain to, that is not a typical Windows message.

Louis

#3 VICTORNOUS

VICTORNOUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:24 AM

Hamluis
I have two systems that have their OS licenses(both Windows 2000 Professional) attached to each each PC, I purchased two XP setup Disk from retail outlet, that am suppose to use, each computer having one, it may sound like a lie but this are organizational computers am using "I" bcoz its my responsibility to put them right.

what beats my understanding is why did both Pc refused to boot, though i can see both CD ROM drive and and the 80GB IDE Hard Disk drive in the setup menu.
I have changed the boot order to CD ROM as the first boot device. instead of seeing Press any Key to Boot from CD................... am seeing "DS not installed, Insert OS Setup Disk and Press any Key to Continue.

am suspecting problem with hard ware compatibility or Jamper setting any way, am not sure!

am sorry I need help.

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:39 AM

Its should be "OS not installed...." instead of "DS not installed..." in the message.

That message is displayed when you try to boot from a brand new hard disk.
There is possibility that
1. Your CD-Rom drive is faulty
2. The XP CD is not bootable

You said you bought the new hard disks, you must have got a bootable hard disk installation cd with them. Insert that cd and try to boot and see what happens. If you boot from that cd successfully then your xp cd is not bootable.

#5 VICTORNOUS

VICTORNOUS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:59 AM

Thanks Romeo29 :thumbsup:
I have just read your reply, I decided to install a DVD RAM DRIVE to one of the PC when I booted from the DVD DRIVE it accepted and am already installing windows XP, in one of the computer.
I will do the same to the next computer
Thanks a lot
VICTORNOUS

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:08 AM

Its nice to see that it worked