Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error during recovery to fix blue screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wildcat2000

wildcat2000

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:43 PM

I have a Gateway Laptop (Model MX6428) that I bought in 2006. The hard Drive is a Hitachi TravelStar IDE Model HTS541080G9AT00.

Recently I got a Blue Screen of Death of UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME. I have my recovery disc which is Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. I was trying to do the "chkdsk \p" thing but everytime I get to the loading bar (which says System Recovery Options loading) it never loads and gives me this error message:

Could not load \minint\system32\ntkrnlmp.exe Error:4096, press any key to continue. Then it just reboots.

I should also mention that both booting up without the disc and with it in theres always a black screen where nothing appears until after a minute or so right before it trys to load Windows XP, but obviously it cant and the blue screen comes up...and so on.

Iv googled the error message and Iv read that I could try changing the ACPI in BIOS but everytime I enter BIOS theres no Power menu, just Main, Advanced, Security and Boot and Exit of course. Im thinking I could probably fix the Blue Screen if I could only get past that 4096 error.

What should I do? Thanks for any info

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:38 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I'm not familiar with any recovery disks...are you certain that you can run any of the Recovery Console commands from it? Do you have specific instructions on how to do such?

http://support.gateway.com/s/SOFTWARE/Medi...MLXPH1asi.shtml

Recovery Console commands are meant to be run from either a Microsoft XP CD or a CD containing the RC. The chkdsk commands can also be initiated from within Windows (although they cannot run on the boot partition with Windows open).

Since it appears that you cannot boot into Windows...your alternatives seem to consist of downloading the Recovery Console .iso file and burning it to CD...or borrowing someone's XP CD to access the RC...or finding definitive instructions for your Gateway recovery disks which tell how to access the XP Recovery Console commands.

FWIW: I suggest running the chkdsk /r command, rather than chkdsk /p. If you look at the following link, you will see that chkdsk /p from the RC makes no changes/fixes, it merely reads.

Chkdsk From the Recovery Console - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491051.aspx

Download Recovery Console, Bootable ISO - http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 March 2009 - 10:45 AM.

#3 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:48 AM

Following on from what HAmluis has said, he is correct in all ways but i would like to add. that possibly you're Disk is too old for use. as in, if you try to run a SP2 disk with a SP3 it wont work. check that, also, as suggested, run the CHKDSK /r

so you will have to
A) Borrow or download a RC Disk, that is compatible with you;re Service pack.
:thumbsup: Run chkdsk /r

if they fail, try going onto you're system manufactuars website and forums for the laptop you bought. this is a serious error but can be fixed in some instances. they might have people who specsilize in this topic.

Read the advice i have said but dont rely on it. :flowers:

#4 wildcat2000

wildcat2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the info guys. What I meant about having the recovery disc is, I have the XP installation disc that came with the computer. How do I know what service pack I have? The disc just says Micorsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005 like I typed above.

Also thanks for telling me the diffrence about the two chkdsk's...Iv only read about them recently since this happend and didnt know /p only reads and doesnt fix anything. Also the computer Im on cant burn anything so even if I downloaded the iso I couldnt use it. I guess Im just gonna have to ask on the Gateway formus or call thier help line.

EDIT:That "From Hard Drive:Full System Retsore with BackUp" sounds great but Iv tryed to get to the Recovery screen that way (No disc/F11) and I get that 4096 error I mentioned.

Edited by wildcat2000, 15 March 2009 - 08:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users