Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows for computer, from another computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 potatopotatopotato

potatopotatopotato

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:45 PM

Ok, I understand the title is a bit confusing but please bear with me.
"Install XP on one PC then transfer the HD to another"

I have a laptop (Laptop A), which doesn't allow me access to the BIOS. Thus it cannot boot from the CD or any other device except via network or HDD. I am no longer interested in restarting the BIOS however, I am going to leave it alone from now. I tried removing the CMOS battery didn't work, I tried this twice, once leaving it out for 4 hours to make sure there was no more charge. I figured there must be some security chip or something since this is a fairly new laptop. Plus, this is a laptop and the screws are starting to strip since it's been maintained a lot.

So I decided to just take out the HDD, and install Windows XP from another computer, my laptop (B). Windows XP SP3 Professional installed correctly. And it ran fine on my laptop (B). But when I tried booting from the freshly reformatted HDD on the other laptop (A), it won't boot! It just displays a blinking cursor. I tried my drive from my laptop (A) which had Vista, and it booted up fine. A pal of mine told me to place drivers from the laptop (A) that I backed up to the Windows\Drivers folder, but I am not sure how to do this. Any suggestions?

Laptop A: HP 530 - Trying to get windows to run on this laptop
Laptop B: Vostro 2510 - Using this laptops ability to boot from CD to format and install windows to Laptop B's HDD

Thank you for checking my post out. Sorry to make it soooooo confusing. I hope my labeling of laptops as A and B didn't build the confusion. Also, I wasn't sure if this belonged in Software or Hardware, seemed to me like it belonged in both ... feel free to move it.

Edited by potatopotatopotato, 15 March 2009 - 09:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:24 PM

From what I can tell, correct me if I'm wrong, you moved the hard drive holding Windows from B to A and now Windows won't start? Moving an operating system is not advised, unless both computers have identical hardware and BIOS. Windows configures itself based on the initial startup and loads all necessary motherboard drivers, too. When you moved the hard disk, Windows was unable to start due to different hardware. Your only recourse is to perform a clean install of the operating system on computer A, which you cannot do. Also, if the Windows on the B PC is OEM (very likely) moving it could be a violation of your license agreement. I find it odd that an HP laptop would not allow the use of a CD at boot.

3939.png

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:28 PM

If you can't enter the BIOS because it is password protected you probably aren't going to be able to start the computer without the password.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 potatopotatopotato

potatopotatopotato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:11 AM

Ok, I was just looking for a way around this. I am only skeptical that there is no way to do this without BIOS access because I was able to move my HDD with Vista that was originally with Laptop B onto Laptop A and it booted just fine?

I guess my best bet is to try my luck with HP support ... Thanks for you input anyway!
If anyone has other suggestions please let me know :thumbsup:

Edited by potatopotatopotato, 15 March 2009 - 12:17 AM.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:46 AM

actually, there should be a way to change the boot order without going into bios, usually its hitting the F12 key when the splash screen is on.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:23 AM

If the laptop [not Windows] is rassword protected you aren't going to be able to do anything without the password.
If the password was easy to circumvent there wouldn't be much point in it to start with.

The old removing the battery trick doesn't work on the newer laptops because the password is stored like a file on a flash drive, it requires no power to stay ineact.

The password can usually be removed by the manufacture but that requires proof that the person is the legitimate owner.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 potatopotatopotato

potatopotatopotato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:30 AM

actually, there should be a way to change the boot order without going into bios, usually its hitting the F12 key when the splash screen is on.

There is actually something like that, when I press F9 actually it displays a boot menu. However, it seems to disregard my choices and totally ignore the CD Drive. Even if I remove the HDD.

If the laptop [not Windows] is rassword protected you aren't going to be able to do anything without the password.
If the password was easy to circumvent there wouldn't be much point in it to start with.

The old removing the battery trick doesn't work on the newer laptops because the password is stored like a file on a flash drive, it requires no power to stay ineact.

The password can usually be removed by the manufacture but that requires proof that the person is the legitimate owner.

That explains it. I'll give contacting HP a go today or tomorrow. May be difficult since I don't have any papers.

Also, if I find another HP laptop of similar model, maybe I can transfer drives much more easily. The quest moves on ...

EDIT: Hooray I was able to get the bios cleared! Upon closer inspection of the manual. I found out upon removal of the cmos battery, that I needed to boot the computer WITHOUT the battery in place, but with only the AC Adapter. Thanks to all that helped! I am now able to boot from CD.

Edited by potatopotatopotato, 15 March 2009 - 01:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users