Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there a progam that helps cut down on ram use.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 eboknight

eboknight

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:54 PM

I was just curious if there is a program that helps cut down or manage my desktops ram use. If not what is the best way to do this.
thanks eboknight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bravestarr5

bravestarr5

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:58 PM

Obviously the amount of RAM being used is directly related to open appz and background processes so if you are running lots of startup items and a few programs, internet etc there's gonna be a drain on ur RAM anyway.

Adding some more RAM would help. Or u could look into raising the amount of your Pagefile (hdd space used for RAM processes)

But to answer your original question directly, there is a little app I found when I was trying to work out if my pc was being hijacked, its called Rambooster. Its a simple thing. Jus type in how much RAM you'd like to be freed up and it will do what it can. There may be others but this was mentioned by other users who were looking for the same thing at the time.

Hope some of this helps,
bravestarr5

Edited by bravestarr5, 14 March 2009 - 11:00 PM.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

Use caution when using any RAM management tools. Windows, especially Vista and 7, have good RAM management and running other software to manage it could cause problems. Installing as much RAM as your PC can use, well, an affordable amount of RAM, would be best. Increasing your page file is only a stopgap measure since the computer will be using the hard drive, which is slow, as RAM, which is very fast. Obviously, excessive page file usage will cause a severe slow down. In Windows, the task manager will allow you to see how much physical memory (the non-page file memory) is being used. If you have Vista, don't freak out at the amount of memory in use as it uses memory differently than XP. Also, in Vista, you can go to the Task Manager's performance tab to see a graph of how much RAM is in use. In that same tab, you can click on Resource Monitor and see just what is in memory.

3939.png

#4 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:39 PM

I am using windows xp professional and I have 1.5 gigs of ram, my PC tops out a 2gigs and it is on its way will be here by the 20th. At any time at least 400mb is in use and that is a good case scenario.
I guess what I want to know what is the best way to manage my ram use, messing around with the registry is not the safest thing to do for a novice.
If you could give me a good point in the right direction of what to do I would appreciate it.
Sorry for my ignorance, that is why I am here knowledge: The more the better.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:35 AM

IMO, the best way to "manage" RAM is to leave it alone and let XP take care of it.

That includes the pagefile.

Logically, RAM is there to be utilized...there's no logical reason to try to cut down on its usage...unless something is out of control due to malware, etc.

Louis

#6 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:27 AM

How much ram should a PC use while idle, or what is a reasonable amount.

thanks

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:05 PM

That depends on what is running and the operating system itself. You can go to the task manager and click on processes, then sort by the amount of RAM each process uses to determine what is using your RAM. My PC uses 38% of the current physical RAM. That may sound like a great deal of memory, but Vista uses it differently than XP. In my processes tab, the top five users of RAM are:

Firefox.exe - My web browser.
FahCore_14.exe - My Folding@Home service
explorer.exe - Windows Explorer
dwm.exe - The desktop window manager...I like Aero!
LastFM.exe - My Last.fm program

3939.png

#8 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

That amount of ram usage does not sound like a lot to me, my pc runs xp professional and with no programs open I have 1.5gigs of ram and I never get over 1gig available. Any ideas what I can do. I'm sure this is not normal.
Thanks I really appreciate the help.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:47 PM

Normal is relative based upon hardware on programs currently in use both normally and in the background. What programs are listed in the Processes tab? Items in that tab tell you what exactly is in memory. List the top five or so items. Windows will make use of more RAM if it is available. So if you had only 512MB, RAM usage of 400MB would be unusual but with 1.5GB of RAM, that amount of RAM isn't too bad. It's a little more than 25% utilization, which is very good in my opinion.

3939.png

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 05:48 AM

I used one of those RAM booster apps a long time ago on my father's win98 pc with 64 MB ram. It didnt really work but the PC used to freeze every 30 mins when it "recovered" ram, other than that I noticed no effect. Buth that was like 10 years ago. I dont know how theses apps work today. In my opinion, the best way to have more ram is to buy more ram.

#11 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:06 AM

That amount of ram usage does not sound like a lot to me, my pc runs xp professional and with no programs open I have 1.5gigs of ram and I never get over 1gig available. Any ideas what I can do. I'm sure this is not normal.
Thanks I really appreciate the help.

Bring up Task Manager. Choose the Performance tab. On the bottom left, what number is given for Peak Commit Charge? How many processes running?

Under Physical memory, what is the number given for Total?

Press Windows key + R. Type msconfig then press OK. Choose the Startup tab. How many items have a check mark in this list?

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 04:06 PM

Be careful when using the msconfig utility, you can easily mess things up there.

3939.png

#13 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

Here is the statistics you asked for.

physical memory 1572208

processes 34

commit charge peak 649684

I have 13 total programs starting when I look at my msconfig utility, is there a way to get a better description of the programs in msconfig the descriptions there are very vague.

Thanks for your help

#14 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

What are the programs? Remember, Windows needs to load some software in order to work properly. Once you get the new RAM, you should notice a difference in speed. For an XP machine, 34 processes is a good number.

3939.png

#15 eboknight

eboknight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:50 PM

Thanks I appreciate all of the input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users