Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express 2003 seems to recreate itself

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JohnTheFirst

JohnTheFirst

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

I run XP Home and heavily use the full version of MS Outlook. I found Express an irritant and have tried to remove it before. In a quest to regain my 768 broadban speed (another issue) I'm trying to get rid of things that could conflict or tap the resources.

I have 1.5 gigs of ram in my 4 year old desk top and adequate disk space. I use only 10 % running the Office Pro suite. I have a 9800 Radeon video card, Verizon for IP and run Uniblue's suite of Registry/performance enhancers and use Norton anti-virus. I turned off the Microsoft firewall so it didn't conflict with Norton's and shut off the antivirus program to download or install programs.

Recently i again started receiving a dialogue box saying that Express can compress files for me. I got this message months ago and had removed what I thought was all of Express at the time. Now the message and several files are back. Those files include:

msimn.exe
wab.exe
wabmig.exe
oemig50.exe
setup50.exe

I don't know if these can be specifically removed without damaging Outlook itself or if these are unique for Express. Since wab is the "addess book" it worries me to just start deleting. The rest of the files in area are libraries and a .txt file and if they're not shared by Outlook can they be removed permanently and retain Outlook full version intact?

msoe.txt
wabfind.dll
oemiglib.dll
wabimp.dll
oeimport.dll
msoe.dll
msoeres.dll

I ran a patch for eliminating Express when I first attempted removal, but it seems to be reinstalling itself like a monster in a cheap movie. :thumbsup:
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:39 PM

Dear John,

It appears as though you no longer get long with your operating system. I hate to do this, but you must break up with your computer.
Computers are intelligent in nature and don't get along well with hopeless romantics that like things their way. You should started dating
a Macbook, they're easy and always give you what you want.

Sincerely yours,
The PC
HA HA

Now, on to the matter at hand, please go into add/remove programs and then click on Add/Remove Windows Components. Uncheck Outllook express.
Let the computer do it's thing. When finished, restart the computer.

If OLEXP returns, we need to use more drastic measures.

Let me know what heppens.

#3 Socalreporter

Socalreporter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 30 March 2009 - 09:22 AM

Now, on to the matter at hand, please go into add/remove programs and then click on Add/Remove Windows Components. Uncheck Outllook express.
Let the computer do it's thing. When finished, restart the computer.

If OLEXP returns, we need to use more drastic measures.

Let me know what heppens.

Thanks for the suggestion. OE was already deselected. When I try to follow manual removal instructions, each file I delete/modify recreates itself. Any other ideas?

#4 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:55 PM

I suspect you have a corrupted registry setting that causing OL express to re-install. I would recommend back up and re-install windows.

I tried re-creating your issue and was only able to after simulating a corrupt registry.

Editing the registry could be just as troubling as re-installing, but the re-install requires less technical troubles.

Cheers

#5 Synetech

Synetech

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:35 PM

“Outlook Express 2003”? Is that a typo, OE on Win2003, or an actual version of OE? XP had OE 6; is the one in question newer?
****** *** ****** * ****; * ***** **** ** *** **** ******* *** ****** ************ ****.

-- Synetech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users