Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Audio in WMP 11 When Playing DVWs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bassy2

Bassy2

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

Hello all,

I run Windows XP Pro SP 3. I have WMP installed. I recently had a new 160GB hard drive i and a combination CD/DV burner player installed. Nero 7 essentials is also installed.

Since this developement. when I attempt to play a DVD in WMP 11 there is no sound or audio. I have checked whether the correct speakers have been sellected ie. stereo speakers and all other requirements are correct. There are no MPEG 2 codecs installed on my system. I had that checked as well and none are installed. I am minded that I may require MPEG 2 codec or an AC3 filter. I don't know about these things so my questions are:-

1. How do I download and install the MPEG 2 codec?
2. How do I download and install the AC3 Filter?
3. Where can I find them?
4. What are their functions?

I am grateful for any answers to the above questions and/or your comments and suggestions with a view to solving the problem.

Please note that I am new to all of this and layman's language will be appreciated.

Thanking you in advance for your kind consideration.

Bassy2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:18 PM

Hi there!

Here is the AC3 Filter download page. I use the filter as well and it works well!

AC3Filter is a high quality free audio decoder and processor filter. It allows media players to playback movies with AC3 and DTS audio tracks. Also it can process any audio track, much of processing options allows to adjust the sound in almost any way.

Here is Stinky's MPEG-2 Codec which allow you to play MP2 audio files that are written in to a video! The audio files are written in to the tracks because of the different compressing techniques used in technology.

In other words, these codecs are used to help play the audio that is written in to the videos. :thumbsup:

#3 Bassy2

Bassy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:59 PM

Hello J-P VIP,

Thank you so much for your reply and for taking the time out for so doing.

I shall be following up on your advice via the links. However I am to inform you that subsequent to my questions and prior to reading your reply, I hunted around and came up with Power DVD 8 trial version and instaled the same, to my suprise after so doing WMP worked. I believe that there is some component used in that program that triggered WMP.

I am one who would like to keep my system lean. I already have a lot of programs installed some of which are large and I use each of them from time to time on a regular basis, so that I am minded to follow your instructions, which brings me to the question:-

How do I disable Power DVD so I will know whether AC3 or Stinkey's MPEG 2 works?

If any of them do work, I will want to uninstall Power DVD.

Can you advise?

Thank you in advance for your kind consideration.

Bassy2.

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:17 PM

Uninstall PowerDVD and try to use WMP with the codecs installed.

Use PowerDVD if you want better DVD Management, though!

#5 Bassy2

Bassy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:31 AM

Hello Jay-P VIP,

Most thankful for your reply.

I accept you advice without further question.

Finally, I must say that I see why you are noted a "Very Distinguished Person" in the forum. Your prompt responses, patience, professionality as well as the clarity of expression showes that. It is indeed refreshing to have been advised by you.

Thanks again.

Best regards

Bassy2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users