Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Start Menu, No icons, no Task manager

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Islandbull

Islandbull

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:44 PM

Hi, my computer recently froze and when I rebooted, i was welcomed with no task bar, no icons, and no task manager. When I boot in safe mode, I am able to get task manager and open the explorer.exe. I've tried doing a system restore to no success. I've tried doing full scans with Adaware and super antispyware, It found stuff, but has not resolved my issues.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Here is a log file from Hijackthis(ran in safe mode). :thumbsup:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)
Scan saved at 8:40:42 PM, on 3/14/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Boot mode: Safe mode with network support

{Mod Edit; I snipped the HJT log as they aren't to be posted here. If you still have malware issues post in the AM I Infected forum,thank you~~boopme}

Edited by boopme, 14 March 2009 - 08:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

This is normal for a malware to disable TaskManager.

To enable TaskManager, open StartMenu -> Run. Type cmd and press Enter

In the commad prompt window copy-paste the following: (To paste in command-prompt, right-click and select paste.)

xxx

press Enter

Edited by garmanma, 14 March 2009 - 09:44 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:50 PM

Please DO NOT make suggestions that require a Registry edit with out an Advisory to ALWAYS BACK UP the registry first, Thank you !!

A suggestion has been made that involves modifying the registry. Modifying the registry can be dangerous (and can render your system unbootable) so it's advisable that you make a backup of the registry before proceeding.
Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot perform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Go Here and download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.
Registry Modifications

For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users