Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ME or Unix/Linux?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OS51

OS51

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

Well hey folks. I'm OS51, brand new, and I have a question for you computer-knowledgeable folks.

I've heard about Linux and Unix but know virtually nothing about them. What I do know about is Windows ME. It's worthless, nothing runs on it, and its dagon slow. My question is this: Are Linux/Unix better than this ME garbage? Should I switch to one of them? If so, which?

Thanks!

OS51

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

lol windows me is fine
theirs a program called system restore remover or some thing get it and remove system restore and system file protection and pc health and you will see a much faster computer
and no thing runs on it because M$ has taken support away for it so all companys that make software make sure it wont work on window 95,98,me
and linux or unix i never tried it much but it would be the same probloy no thing will work with it

theres a program called KernelEx 4.0 RC 1 which is made for making xp / vista only program work with 98 and ME but not all soft ware works only some games work and some soft ware work like firefox 3
so trying that may be good
and its a good place for 9x too and thiers some thing called uber skin make thats makes 98 or me look like vista or xp lol

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:58 PM

What linux has to offer varies from package to package. There are packages made by corporate companies, user communities and individuals. Some packages are intended for special purposes like playing videos only.

You can have a taste with a Live Linux cd. This is a linux CD you can boot from, and linux loads from the cd without any installation on the hard disk.

One problem most Windows users face when they use Linux is, installing new programs. It can become a real headache, because most of the time you have to compile and give commands in the terminal window.

Newer linux packages have more hardware requirements. Although there are bare-minimum packages too like DamnSmallLimux and PuppyLinux.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users