Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how do I set up my sound?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 supac

supac

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:02 PM

after reformatting, my computer doesn't recognize my old sound card. how do I set it up again?

Edited by The weatherman, 14 March 2009 - 07:26 PM.
Moved to a more appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:18 PM

Did you install the sound drivers?

#3 supac

supac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

how would I do that without knowing the name of my sound card? also, when I go to sounds + audio devices, it doesn't detect my sound card. how do I fix this?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:33 PM

First of all, are you for sure using a sound card?

Or is your sound on-board? (embedded sound card in the motherboard)?

In order to help you find the drivers you need, it's critical to know that information.

One thing you can do-go to Control Panel. Open up Administrative Tools.
Choose Computer Management, then Device Manager.

What do you see under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers?
Another thing to look for in device is a category called Unknown or something similar. Is there anything there?

The only other option I know is for you to open up the case if you have a desktop system and look to see if there is a seperate sound card. If there is, you may have to pull it out to find out the brand.

If you don't actually have a sound card, we need to know the make and model of your computer.

#5 supac

supac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:56 PM

that was a very informative post. I found the device under 'other devices' and installed the driver for it. The sound is working properly now, so thanks a bunch for your help. much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Edited by supac, 14 March 2009 - 09:58 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:13 AM

I'm glad your issue is resolved. Thank you for letting us know. Congratulations on figuring out how to install the drivers from Other Devices.
Years ago I discovered Other Devices after I did a format. My Sound Blaster card cd was scratched and wouldn't work.
At the time, SB did not have it's drivers available as an online download.
After stumbling upon Other Devices, I muddled through the process to install the drivers. Every once in a while I pull that one out of the hat when people have the same problem you did.
Another THANK YOU for letting me know it is Other Devices-it's been a long time since I've actually had to use it so I'd forgotten what it was listed as.

#7 Josh B

Josh B

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:52 PM

I reformatted my hard drive, reinstalled XP Pro. I downloaded all of the gateway mx6436 drivers and installed them, but I still do not have any sound, and I have no clue what to do. I have searched the engines for solutions and I have none. What should I do? Thanks!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users