Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drivers or something related to them won't load

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MorphBeast

MorphBeast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

Ok, my laptop got infected with a trojan. So, I used a combination of SpyBot, Adaware, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to remove it. They did what they could and I restarted the computer but explorer was infected. So, windows would not let it run. What I had to do was Ctrl+Alt+Del it to get the task manager and close some programs (the only name I remeber is reader_s) and then in the task manager tell it to run explorer. I ran the programs again, along with combofix and a Vundo trojan remover (at first it said the trojan was not found then it was found then it was not found I ran it three times). I repeated this a few more times, Teatimer and Adaware would block keys from being added back and programs from restarting, and eventually everything was fine. Now Adaware was down to finding only 3 problems. So I resarted in Safe Mode hoping that would help and had it remove what it could find. This time it did not require a reboot. I also used System restore to restore to a time before the infection. That is where the problem happened. When I restarted the computer it said that it could Not Restore the computer to a previous time and no changes were made but there were changes made. When the computer starts none of the drivers load. So, the computer says I have no sound/video/ethernet card etc. But when I go to them it says the audio devices and what not are functioning normally. I also tried to reinstall the drivers but it won't let me open instalation programs or the cd burner. Now I am not sure what is wrong. I do not think the spyware removal programs did this (at least not directly) because they did not require a restart and everything worked before that final time in safe mode. I also do not think it was done by combofix because I only ran the once at the begining. Adaware, spybot, and Malwarebytes all say that they can no longer detect anything but after the problem already happened I ran Combofix again to see what It could find and it still says that two files are infected. c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe . . . is infected!! and c:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe . . . is infected!! and that it deletes c:\windows\system32\drivers\ntndis.sys
c:\windows\system32\drivers\str.sys . Now I do not have any of the mbam logs from Malwarebytes I did not save them (I do not know if it saves them somewhere else by itself.) but I do have a Adaware log of what it changed, the original combofix log and the combofix log from after the problem. I also have a hijack this log I ran after the problem started. I am posting the later here. If someone could tell me what the problem is or how to fix this hopefully without having to delete and reinstall windows or something (so I do not lose my data) it would be much appreciated.
EDIT: Also, I do not know if this helps but I checked and it seems Malwarebytes and Adaware and they removed the restore files so when I was trying to restore it was loading nothing. I also did that windows repair chkdsk C: /p and /r thing and they did not help. Thanks.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 8:08:21 PM, on 3/12/2009
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe,
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QlbCtrl] %ProgramFiles%\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch Buttons\QlbCtrl.exe /Start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WatchDog] C:\Program Files\InterVideo\DVD Check\DVDCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools] "C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] CHDAudPropShortcut.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-Watch] C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NVIDIA nTune] "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneCmd.exe" clear
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-1482476501-115176313-725345543-1004\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe (User '?')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-1482476501-115176313-725345543-1004\..\Run: [NVIDIA nTune] "C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneCmd.exe" clear (User '?')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-1482476501-115176313-725345543-1004\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe (User '?')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [reader_s] C:\Documents and Settings\Gregory\reader_s.exe (User '?')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [reader_s] C:\Documents and Settings\Gregory\reader_s.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Bluetooth.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: DVD Check.lnk = C:\Program Files\InterVideo\DVD Check\DVDCheck.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Send To &Bluetooth - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie_ctx.htm
O9 - Extra button: @btrez.dll,-4015 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @btrez.dll,-4017 - {CCA281CA-C863-46ef-9331-5C8D4460577F} - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\btsendto_ie.htm
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .csm: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .csml: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .cub: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .cube: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .dat: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .dx: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .emb: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .embl: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .gau: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .jdx: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mol: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .pdb: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .rxn: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .scr: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .skc: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spt: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .tgf: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O12 - Plugin for .xyz: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\npchime.dll
O16 - DPF: {8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93} (Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0) - http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=26688
O23 - Service: Bluetooth Service (btwdins) - Broadcom Corporation. - C:\Program Files\WIDCOMM\Bluetooth Software\bin\btwdins.exe
O23 - Service: Hotspot Shield Service (HotspotShieldService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Hotspot Shield\bin\openvpnas.exe
O23 - Service: hpqwmiex - Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. - C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Shared\hpqwmiex.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: Lavasoft Ad-Aware Service - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWService.exe
O23 - Service: NMSAccessU - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\CDBurnerXP\NMSAccessU.exe
O23 - Service: nTune Service (nTuneService) - NVIDIA - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\nTune\nTuneService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

Edited by MorphBeast, 15 March 2009 - 01:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rodav

Rodav

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:18 PM

Hi,

Unfortunately I have some bad news, your computer is infected with Virut.

Virut is capable of infecting all the machine's executable files (.exe) and screensaver files (.scr). However, the problem is that the virus has a number of bugs in its code, and as a result, it may misinfect a proportion of executable files and therefore, the files are corrupted beyond repair. As of now, security experts suggest that a format and clean install, or destructive recovery if you have an OEM recovery partition, is the best way to clean the infection and it is the best way to return the machine to its normal working state.

Backup all your documents and important items (personal data, work documents, etc) only. DO NOT backup any executable files (software) and screensavers (*.scr). It attempts to infect any accessed .exe or .scr files by appending itself to the executable.

Also, avoid backing up compressed files (zip/cab/rar) files that have .exe or .scr files inside them. Virut can penetrate and infect .exe files inside compressed files too.

I don't feel there is any point in trying to clean this machine. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that's how I see it.

You can read more about it here if you want; http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2009/02/vir...s-throwing.html

If you have any questions let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users