Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dial-up never the speed

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 terrbear

terrbear

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:07 PM

Ive been using the same IP for over five years and have no problems until last two weeks. (If I could afford Highspeed I would have switched along time ago). When I connect to the internet I'm doing good if I stay connect for more then an hour. I will start out with a 28.8 kbps until I have to reconnect. Then it will drop to 12.0 kbps and if I try to reconnect to try and up the speed it will then go to about 7.2 kbps. At this speed nothing works. I then shut off my pc, as to prevent putting my foot through it. About an hour later I will start up and the samething happens. Thinking that it's a modem problem I talk to Dell and they said that as long as I can connect to the internet the mpdem is working fine. They told me to contact my IP. After talking to my IP, we deleted my connection and then reinstalled the connection and still I get the same problem. They said that I should talk to my phone company for the problem is with my landline. I called my phone carrirer and they had know repairs being made in my area and as long as my get a dial tone there is nothing wrong with the system. So, who do I believe? And can I solve this problem?

Edited by terrbear, 14 March 2009 - 07:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:27 PM

I had that same problem back when I used dialup. The modem would work okay for a while and then just start creeping until it was useless. I thought it was everything but the modem. Guess what... it was the modem. I put a new 56k in it and realized I had forgotten just how fast it used to be. Just because it connects doesn't mean something on the modem card isn't overheating or changing value. I recommend trying a new one. It worked for me.

But before you rush out to the store, pick up the phone and push a button to kill the dial tone and listen. Is it quiet with no buzz or crackling? Sometimes a cordless phone charger/pwr supply can induce a buzz that will trash your data stream. So can an old flourescent light fixture. If you hear any kind of noise, unplug all the other phones in the house (and their power supplies if they have them) and try again with an old cord phone. Then you can go outside to the box, open it and unplug the line to the house, then plug a phone into the test jack. Push a button to kill the dial tone. Is it quiet there? If it is, then the feed from their end is good. If it sounds clear, it's usually good enough for data... unless you're deaf. :thumbsup:
Water in your phone box outside will corrode the wires and cause static and crackling. That's worth a check.

Now I'm running broadband, but I did have to eliminate some other monthly bills to squeeze it in, so I know where you're coming from.

Let us know how it works out. Maybe the store will agree to take the modem back If it turns out not to be the problem.

Edited by RknRusty, 14 March 2009 - 10:43 PM.

#3 terrbear

terrbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:16 PM

RknRusty, thanks for the tips. I did the phone check and there was no buzzing or crackling in the line. I look at the wires outside and those look good to. I have noticed that when my pc has been on for more then two hours the more problem I have. Then redialing the speeds get slower. Also, when I first start up my pc and get my first connection and is at 28.8kbps, my AVG free pops up and says that my connection has failed and I have to restart the updates. Does this still indicate a modem problem?

#4 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:13 PM

Modems catch hel from line hits, lightening, and all the other spikes on the telephone network. I don't know my way around the AVG program. You could disable it and turn ON the Windows firewall and surf a few trusted sites for a while and see if it still slows down. The Windows firewall should be OFF whenever you have AVG or any other third party firewall running. That could cause trouble too.
Don't forget to turn AVG back on when you're finished.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:40 PM

This sounds like a hard wire problem, either at the box or in the structure. Usually this speed will be the same once you gain access to the trunk line. A poor connection can cause these problems.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 terrbear

terrbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:15 PM

Looks like I'll be changing out the wiring to my pc this weekend. Hopefully that will do the trick. But before I do that I will do the check with Windows firewall. I'll let you know one way or another.
Thanks again

#7 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

You could haul it over to your neighbor's house and plug it in and try it before you do too much wiring.

#8 terrbear

terrbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:53 PM

Ok, here is what is has happpend so far. When I tryed to connect to the internet this morning I couldn't get connected. So I checked my phone line and got alot of static. I checked all my phone lines and got the same thing. I then went outside and pluged my phone into the test jack and got the same static. I called the phone company and after four hours they came out. But before they came out I checked the line again and it was fine, no static. They did change a few connections and said that that wall they could do. So, I'm not sure if it's fixed or not. I guess time will tell. But for now it's working. Thanks again for your help. :thumbsup:

#9 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

Has it been rainy lately? That happened to my phones recently after a rainy spell and it came and went for a few days. The inside of the box was wet. They rewired it and it's been fine since.

#10 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:19 PM

I retired from ATT (SBC/Ameritech/Michigan Bell) and know how tough it is to catch the noise on the line when its intermittent.
I was thinking in my area DSL is like $20 for the basic and its way faster than dial up. The company dont like to offer it, the offer the higher speeds but will sell the basic if you ask.
Recheck, they may insist on a years commitment.. Modem may cost $50 with some filters and a DIY kit. Its very do-able for most of us.
If you ever try dsl you wont be sorry.

#11 terrbear

terrbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2009 - 08:51 PM

Yes it has been raining, but the interface box was dry inside. The phone guy said if it did it again to recheck the line using the test jack in the interface box just like I did before. He also added that I can only call the phone company two more times before they start charging me for the srevice call. Not sure how they can do that when it is in their lines not mine. I'll give it a few day and see what happens.

DSL is still to high right now for me, I'm still paying for my daughters DSL while she is still going to college. Looks like I'm stuck with dialup for awhile.

#12 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:19 AM

It's getting to be pretty commom for phone and cable companies to give people who are already customers far better deals than they advertise and publicly admit to, if you just press them. They're at war with each other now, just to keep customers.

#13 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:16 PM

I dont know about dialup, but static on phone line can cripple DSL connection too. I experienced very slow speed and random disconnections when I had DSL installed first. After the phone company repaired the static, its been working like charm :thumbsup:

#14 terrbear

terrbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:24 PM

After waiting 8 hous for the static to clear up so I can use my pc, it looks like I will be calling the phone company tomorrow.

#15 terrbear

terrbear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:15 PM

Hurray!!!!! They finally came out and rewired the phone line from the main trunk line to the interface box. Everthing is working fine.
:thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users