Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No video at boot!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dave2112

Dave2112

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:49 PM

Hello!! I'm new to this site and would like to introduce myself and wish everyone a great day! I'm Dave and I have read a few threads from this site and thought it would be good to join. Anyways, I just bought a new Asus M4A79 Deluxe motherboard, an Amd 3.0 Ghz quad core processor, 4 gigs of DDR2 1066 ram and a 1000 watt power supply to go in my Antec 1200 case. I build computers as a technician but this one really has me stumped. When I boot, the computer starts and all my fans turn on and I can hear the video card whir up yet I get no video on the screen. But..after 3-4 attempts at shutting it down then starting it up it finally boots then runs perfectly. I get nothing in the event viewer either. I can reboot and restart as many times as I want with no problems...once it has booted for the first time of the day. I manually set my ram timings and voltage to manufacturer's specs thinking I might have a ram problem but that didn't help. I'm also running a ATI HD 4870 1Gb video card that is also brand new. I tried to boot with a known good video card but got the same results. Can anyone help???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:20 PM

Are the memory modules plugged into the correct slots? some motherboards require dual channel memory, when installed in pairs, to be put in certain slots, like 1 and 3 and 2 and 4, or sometimes its 1 and 2 and 3 and 4. I had a similar issue with my 3870 x2 on my system, I had 2 gigs of patriot extreme performance ram in my system when I first built it, but when I added the video card, the problem started, the first time I hit the power button on the computer everything would turn on, but there would be no display on the monitor and I would get a long beeeep, until I hit the reset button. once I did that, everything booted up fine. I tried different voltages, ran the memory in it both at the 1.8v motherboard default and at the 2.2v the memory is supposed to run at. it was really annoying. I recently upgraded my memory by purchaseing a 2x2gb set of patriot viper memory, which is supposed to run at 2.1v. I moved the 2 x 1 gig set to slot 3 and 4 (on my board according to the manual for dual channel mode you need them running in slots 1 and 2 and 3 and 4) and put the 2 x 2 gig set in the first 2, and set the voltage at 2.1. this solved my problem. not sure why but it did. Im guessing it has to do with all the parts powering up in unison. so I would check the memory module slots, but I would also check the power supply to make sure its good as well. just my two cents.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Dave2112

Dave2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the reply! Ya, I have two sticks of two gig ram, one in the 1st slot and the other in the 3rd slot. The color coordination of the slots shows this type of configuration. But if I changed them ,should I just try slots 2 % 4? Do I just take the power supply to a computer shop? I have a tester but it is for a 20 pin not a 24 pin. Will that 20 pin work for my 24 pin power supply/

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

you can try the 2 and 4, if their the proper slots I kinda doubt it will make a difference though. It may not be a memory issue, but have you tried running a memtest on them to be sure? and im not sure, typically I test my PSUs by swapping them in and out with other computers and do everything the hard way since I dont have a PSU tester or any of that fancy tools at all. Either Dc3 or Dcpunisher ( I forget which but I think one of them) has a quick instruction sheet on how to manually test the PSU out but Ive never tried it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Dave2112

Dave2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

I ran the memory tester that comes with Windows Vista and it passed. I thought that after I changed the voltage it would make a difference. If it were a ram problem wouldn't it refuse to boot ever?

#6 Dave2112

Dave2112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

Ok thanks for your input! Have a good night!

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:49 AM

in theory yes. But I doubt the issue is with your ram with how much time weve spent on it, Im thinking its either your video card or your PSU, my money is on the video card. Diamond doesnt always get the best reviews, Id RMA it and see what happens. :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users