Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP login - desktop starts to load, logs off again

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 momgbb

momgbb

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

I started my computer in safe mode. I selected Administrator as the user and as it was loading the desktop, I decided I should have signed on with the user we usually use (not Administrator), so I did Alt-Ctl-Del and shutdown.

Now, after I select either user, the desktop starts to load - I see the background - but before the icons or anything, it logs off and saves settings and goes back to the screen with the users to select for logon.

Save mode does the same thing.

I have restarted, shut down more than once with the same results.

I hope somebody can help me. I really don't want to reload windows.

Windows XP Pro, SP3
2.5 Ghz, 512 MB ram, 80 gig hard drive

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but it has a virus that is variations of MS antispyware2009 - got it cleaned up some, but was still getting boxes popping up - usually not when I first booted up, logged on - before I messed up the sign on process.

Thx, Cynda

Edited by momgbb, 14 March 2009 - 08:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:52 PM

If you have a post in either of the malware sections...that's where you need to continue...rather than starting a new thread here in the XP forum.

Louis

#3 momgbb

momgbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

No. I don't have a post in the Malware sections, although I tried most of those recommendations before I disabled myself from even signing on my computer.

I need help accessing my XP computer. Right now Malware is not my problem. That will come after I can actually sign on and get a desktop, start menu, etc.

#4 momgbb

momgbb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 01:49 PM

If you think I could get some help on another forum, I'm more than willing. I'm not getting anything here.

This is my first post. I noticed it says MOVED on the 2nd entry - not sure what that means or how I would move this to the malware forum.

I welcome any help.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 03:48 PM

As I see it...the problem may be that malware is the cause of your system rebooting.

Your assertion that you would like to boot into Windows before focusing on the malware possibility...seems to be the wrong approach to me (I'm certainly no expert of any kind, least of all in the malware area).

My suggestion would be to get advice from the folks who work in that area with more expertise than those of us in the XP forum. If they say that there's nothing they can suggest and send you back here...then it's time to try this and that, IMO.

BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users