Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major - error - 'Not Operating System disk'

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

Hey, fixing a 98 pc or so i think it is. it has had a serverly crashed computer and i need to try and run it. it asked for a diskette so i downloaded one and put onto afloppy. now it says its not an operating system disk or ;check disk

what could this be??

thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

Hey, fixing a 98 pc or so i think it is. it has had a serverly crashed computer and i need to try and run it. it asked for a diskette so i downloaded one and put onto afloppy. now it says its not an operating system disk or ;check disk

what could this be??

It depends what you put on the floppy?

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Once the boot disk is made then you use Sys C: to put the system files back. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 eastonch

eastonch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:16 AM

Thanks but when i do scan disk C it comes up with C is not found
and when i do Fdisk it cannot find a Fixed disk. ill try the Sys C but i dunno if the HDD is knackered.

it doesnt come up with a pri-master

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:39 AM

If you enter the BIOS setup and it doesn't find a hard drive, then the hard drive could be faulty or disconnected (power plug fallen out, data cable loose or faulty), the controller could be faulty or disabled in the BIOS settings, or the BIOS could have reverted to a Not Present state for that drive. A few older BIOS don't default to Auto Detect, the drive has to be manually detected in one of the menu options. This type of BIOS "loses" the hard drive if the CMOS backup battery goes flat.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 eastonch

eastonch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:44 AM

i had to remove the cmos for a reason i am not allowed to say on BC.

i checked the HDD and it looked to be in ok condition, it is vretical stuck to the fornt, dunnno how to remove it but the data cables looked ok, i couldnt see a jumper plastic thing if HDD's have them. aswell as the pwoercable looked ok. i followed all line and it is connecgted to the MB. dunno if this is fried or what, i aint spending money to fix gthis, it is a friends and he doesnt care. i might give him my black one which is quite fast but was gonna use that as a server, anyhelp on this computer would be appreciated ;)

Thanks!

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,739 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:10 AM

Umm, you can't "remove" the CMOS... cleared the CMOS settings? On some BIOS that could remove the HDD parameters and cause the hard drive not to be seen.

Whatever the cause, until the hard drive is present in the BIOS devices, you will be unable to proceed any further. By a process of elimination, you need to find out what is preventing the drive from appearing as a device. Is the hard drive on the same data cable as a CD drive?

#7 eastonch

eastonch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:39 AM

I did remove the CMOS battery, to clear the setting which was preventing me from accessing the BIOS.

i am going to try and set it manually in the BIOS because i in Computer hope there is a list for the Fireball HDD as it is, now i just need to know its serial niumb and so on to get the right data to enter.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:53 AM

Actually you can remove the cmos on many motherboards as its a chip. If you did do that you won't be able to boot at all.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,739 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:53 AM

Yes, in that case, the BIOS has probably just lost the settings. Most can Auto-detect the parameters, either by having Auto set as the option for the appropriate drive (usually Primary Master), or as previously mentioned, on some BIOS you have to go into another menu option to detect the drive, then the parameters appear in the right slot, save and the drive is found on reboot.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,739 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:59 AM

The CMOS memory (often called NVRAM - Non-Volatile RAM) is normally part of the RTC (Real Time Clock) as this is a CMOS device and needs to be powered by the backup battery during power-off. Some RTC chips are indeed in a plug-in removable package.

#11 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:24 AM

Thanks but when i do scan disk C it comes up with C is not found
and when i do Fdisk it cannot find a Fixed disk. ill try the Sys C but i dunno if the HDD is knackered.

it doesnt come up with a pri-master

Well depending on who's BIOS/CMOS you are using Award has an option to check the Hard drive size. Once set and it looks the right size do a restart with your boot disk insert then type in Fdisk. At the main menu use number 4 to see existing partitions. If none are shown then Esc back to the menu and create a new Primary DOS Partition and follow the instructions. Once create go back and use the number 4 option to see it shows correctly. Then do another restart with the boot disk inserted then format the drive to check for any errors.

Then the Win98SE CD is bootable so you either set the boot sequence in the BIOS/CMOS to read the CD Rom first or your bootable floppy should have CD Rom drivers so you can bootup from floppy and type D: (CD Rom drive letter) and enter then type Setup and enter to start the install. Now doing a fresh install you will need all you additional drivers for your hardware e.g. graphics card, sound card, printer, scanner etc. :thumbsup:

Keith

#12 eastonch

eastonch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:03 AM

is that the only way> a reformat? ughh its not worth the bother. ;)

#13 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:55 AM

is that the only way> a reformat? ughh its not worth the bother. ;)

Not worth the bother. :flowers: Just chuck your computer in a skip then. :thumbsup:

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users