Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer beeps once at XP Welcome screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jaderz

Jaderz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:35 PM

My computer never makes a sound - I can't stand all that beeping racket. So when I got it I was assured it would make no sound other than the fan - Which I've worked hard to reduce to hardly any sound at all.

However, on our lovely Friday the 13th I turned on the computer and it beeped once at the XP screen. It lagged to hell won't have ya so I rebooted it. Then it beeped twice at XP screen but didn't lag as horrid. So I opened Internet Explorer 6 and it opened like 12 pages.. I rebooted, tried again.. Same result so I did a restore back to the 9th. Fourth try it did it again. So then I looked up what two beeps mean online and read to take the CMOS (button) battery out. Took it out for a few minutes, put it back in. Rebooted to try and it worked fine no beeps. Restarted several times and it worked just fine. Went to work for a few hours, came home and it worked like a charm.

Few hours later I turned it off for a short while, back on and it beeped and opened 12 pages. And now it's off till I can figure out whatever is going on.

I dont know the computer specs much, but I know it's got plenty of everything.

I read what 1 beep means but I can't find what it means at the XP screen. I don't have long online so if someone could please write back with as much detail as you're willing to spare.. I'd appreciate much!

I had it suggessted that a key on my keyboard might be stuck, I've checked and it isn't. It was also suggested that my computer was overheating - I felt and watched it and it felt fine to me.

.. I can't download anything into that computer as, like I said, it opens dozen+ pages and continues to open them into eternity or until I shut it off. Reposted here as told by another member.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaderz

Jaderz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

Ok, so we have have a new symptom: I ran a full system virus scan, which took about 4-some hours, I went from it opening 60 pages down to 38 pages. And now it's down to opening only one page when I click on explorer. I have the internet cord unplugged so even if it is a virus, nothing can be transmitted. And it still beeps just once at the welcome screen.

Except now it loads msconfig, changes something too quick for me to notice and reboots. That is definately a virus, but I looked at msconfig and nothing starts up other than pccillin and I can't see anything new on any of the boot screens. Does anyone know the virus name or filename? Maybe I can search for it?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

You are slightly confused. BIOS beep codes are different than the Windows notification sounds
BIOS beeps will happen at boot before Windows even loads

Except now it loads msconfig, changes something too quick for me to notice and reboots.

Are you saying that you cannot remain logged in at all, that the computer keeps rebooting?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users