Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Drive Not Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:10 PM

Approximately 2 weeks ago, my computer went crazy. After several hours I was able to get it to boot up long enough for me to back up files and folders to a hard drive I have in an enclosure. My system is now functioning after the installation of a new hard drive. After getting security programs installed, I hooked up the enclosure and restored the files for 2 users to the new drive. Last night I wanted to transfer my files from the enclosure drive to the new hard drive. I hooked it up, turned it on, and it whirred. It was never seen by my computer. I immediately hooked up another hard drive in the enclosure and it worked. The one that works also has backed up files on it, but the last time anything was put on that drive was early January. There wasn't a lot that had been added since then, but I still need to attempt to recover files and folders from the drive that doesn't work. Any suggestions on what I can try? Should I even keep trying? Should I try to find some dynamite and blow up the non-working drive? Any suggestions/advice will be much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:15 PM

I would suggest to try some of these:
  • Attach the drive to the system, restart and see if it is recognized
  • Check the driver for it in device manager...does it need updated?
  • Is your device listed in device manager have a warning flag on top of it?
  • If all else fails, uninstall the driver for the system, attach the drive, and reinstall the driver!
  • Was this the first time it happened?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:36 PM

I would remove the drive from the enclosure, attach it directly to the motherboard...and then run a recovery program on it. After that, I would worry about troubleshooting the drive (manufacturer's diagnostic).

I've found that the paid version of Get Data Back (NTFS) works pretty well, will cost $80. Only you can determine if your files mean that much to you (mine do) and once you pay for it, you have it if you ever need it again.

Louis

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:11 PM

Two hard drives. One a 60gb and on a 120gb.

120 drive
Attach to the enclosure, turn it on.
Drive whirs-slowly.
New hardware found notification does NOT show up.
The drive isn't listed under My Computer.
It isn't listed in Device Manager.
Sometimes the whirring stops and I don't hear the drive spinning.
Rebooting does nothing-the drive simply doesn't show up.

60 drive
When it's connected and turned on, I do get new hardware notification.
It is listed under My Computer.
It does show up in Device Manager.
No yellow triangles and exclamation marks.
I can get to the files and folders.

As for the drivers-never installed them. It's plug in via USB and it works.
I've been using the enclosure for almost a year and a half with no problems using either drive.

I'll take the side of my case off and see if I can install the drive inside.
That will have to wait until later tonight or in the morning.

As for the data on the drive, there's only about 10% that isn't backed up anywhere else. I've got stuff spread out 9 ways from Sunday when it comes to backup. And it's no big deal if I lose that 10%, but the challenge is there and I have to try to get it off the drive.

#5 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

Is there a driver for the device, via CD/DVD or public download?

Have you tried the Add New Hardware wizard?

Edited by Jay-P VIP, 14 March 2009 - 03:25 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Topic Starter

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

I found the driver cd. Installing the drivers made no difference.
I've used Add New Hardware wizard several times-nada.

Next step-opened up the case, installed the 120 drive, turned on the computer and the drive does not show up.

Removed the drive, installed the 60, turned the computer on, and BINGO I get that lovely "found new hardware" notice.

It seems as if the 120gb drive has totally died. No big deal, since the latest back up didn't contain a whole lot of stuff that was valuable. The important things I already have in other places, easy to retrieve.

Thank you both for your input about this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users