Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG finds explorer.exe virus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 darkdays

darkdays

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:22 PM

I have searched for this problem for at least an hour and have not found a solution.

My parents' computer has not had decent protection in a while (mcafee outdated and full of errors and same with norton) and is running Windows XP SP3. Today I installed AVG free antivirus and updated it fully. I started a scan and it found explorer.exe as a "Trojan horse Agent.VIH". The location is C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe (1756). I'm still not sure about what the 1756 stands for and i know the file location is where its supposed to be from searching google and all that. My parents have had no problems with windows until today when firefox would not start because the computer was low on memory (RAM i believe it meant not sure). Should I delete this explorer? i did search the file and found two explorer files one being 0.98mb and had an icon similar to my computer icon. The other was about 800 BYTES and had a folder with a magnifying glass for an icon and was not an app. I really need help my parents are freaking out now.

Slightly unrelated: is C:\WINDOWS\system32\CmdLineExt03.dll a virus too? same classification as explorer.

EDIT: OOPS! i think i posted in the wrong section. Sorry about that I'm new to these forums and didn't really check the sections thoroughly.

Edited by darkdays, 14 March 2009 - 12:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eastonch

eastonch

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

Download MBAM (Malwarebytesantimalware) and run than, or use SPybot S+D

if they fail to find an remove that trojan, run the ultimate boot cd which tutorials are on youtube on how to use it. it will remove almost any virus before bootup.

#3 darkdays

darkdays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:51 PM

Thanx for the fast reply. AVG is running well but has not finished scanning (i'll post any update on any more threats that could be related). I will try to use malwarebyte's since it has helped my friend a few times.

#4 darkdays

darkdays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:13 PM

Ok AVG removed the two viruses it detected even tho i didnt really want it to. PC started up fine everything was ok. Except now the desktop loads and everything is visible, But it just hangs there with a little loading icon for the mouse and task manager won't pull up. Now i have serious problems. Any suggestions? I'm not sure if windows explorer is running because like i said i can't pull up task manager. I restarted the pc twice.

EDIT: took a while for the pc to load up thought it was just dead. Mcafee i guess wasn't uninstalled all the way and now says that a suspect file was detected. I'm running another AVG scan since i have used it on my laptop before and it works wonders. ill just wait and see what happens i guess. Looks like my problem MIGHT be solved. I'll update if anything wierd happens again

Edited by darkdays, 14 March 2009 - 01:17 PM.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

Start the Windows in safe mode.
Open Start Menu -> Run and type sfc / scannow
Insert Windows XP CD and let it restore all original files.
Restart PC in normal mode when done.

#6 darkdays

darkdays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

Everything seems to be working fine now. I guess explorer.exe was attached to the 880 bytes size one since the size went down to 80 bytes. My problem is solved thanks for the help

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users