Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

JAVA 6,UPDATE 12

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:41 AM

I down loaded Java 6 update 12 and my computer slowed about 50 % or more. It would take 2 to 3 minutes to open a program, which normal is maybe a second or two. I removed it; it took about 15 minutes. Ran Ccleaner and the speed is back. Question, is any Java needed on a computer. What are the ++++ and/or -------?

Edited by boopme, 17 March 2009 - 07:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

When you installed the new update did you remove any old ones still on your machine?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:09 PM

No I did't

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:17 PM

Java is needed on to run programs written in Java. There are some websites that use Java applets and you need Java installed to run them. For example, some chatting websites. There are some programs like LimeWire and FrostWire written in Java, they need Java installed to run. Java used to be a hot new thing back 90s, now I rarely see a website using it. Now most websites use Flash and AJAX instead of Java.

Whether you need Java runtime installed on your computer or not depends on your personal needs.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:04 PM

FWIW: New version out now, Update 13, at the java.com website.

Louis

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for getting back hamluis . I don't use chat sites and I don't know what frost wire or lime wire are. Is it correct to remove the old Java before installing a new update.
P/S I do use a chat box on my poker site, in 2009 would that be Java. Is there a way I can tell what programs on my computer need Java.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:34 AM

As I understand it...everyone using Windows needs Java. That assumes that the person using Windows...is also accessing the Internet.

I don't know anything about chat sites, never even visited one in the time that I have had a PC (13 years).

As for finding out what any program is...or might not be...you might try using Google to see the various feedback data from others, as well as the blurb which the program/website might put out re the program.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...18074035AAmOndH

Louis

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for the information. I will google that site. Went to that site and had a lot of good information. I will keep Java.

Edited by Layback Bear, 29 March 2009 - 09:42 AM.

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:43 AM

The use of JAVA, in one form or another, is found just about everywhere on the internet. It is only necessary to keep, however, the latest release; and you can install the update and then delete all prior versions.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:50 AM

jgweed you have come through again. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users