Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot restore system

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PINKYBROWN

PINKYBROWN

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:20 AM

Hi I have an ACER Aspire 5610z running Vista Premium. It is my daughters laptop which was running out of memory so I tried and did compress her files. The next time I booted it up it went to system restore options and asked which country for keyboard layout.
I selected UK AND `NEXT.

I was then taken to a box asking me to select an operating system. The white box was blank. When I went to load drivers I got an open box with look in System 32 and a list of files.

Came out of that and got the list of system Recovery Options:

STARTUP REPAIR
SYSTEM RSTORE
WINDOWS COMPLETE PC RESTORE
WINDOWS MEMORY DIAGNOSTIC TOOL
COMMAND PROMPT

Startup repair checks the system for problems and attempts repairs. I also says `repairing disc errors`
Then message `Startup repair cannot repair this computer autoatically`
Send info (recommended)
Don`t send
When I view the problem there are 10 problem signatures Number 5 shows unknown, Number 6 corrupt/volume

When I send the info I get a startup Repair box saying `Windows cannot repair the computer automatically`

Clicked view diagnostic and repair details. Scrolling down I read:

Root cause found

System volume on disk is corrupt

Repair action: File system repair (chkdsk)
Result: Failed, Error code=0x1f
Time taken=0ms

System restore gives me a box with white cross in red circle saying I must specify whih system to restore and an example

Windows complete pc restore says there is no backup disc although there are regular backupd scheduled

Windows Memory Diagnostic Tools says that a problem is preventing Windows from checking for memory problems during startup and to run the tool manually?

I have no startup discs as everything was preloaded.

Help please !!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:04 AM

I have never seen any good come out of compressing files. If you have a backup use it if not I would boot off of the install disk and do a repair. Worst case do a re install. Please do not compress files. :thumbsup:

Oh I see you have no recovery disks. ACER should have supplied one to you when you purchase it. If they did not, contact them or you will have to purchase a Vista DVD.

Edited by GTK48, 14 March 2009 - 11:06 AM.

#3 PINKYBROWN

PINKYBROWN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

Oh Pooo I`ll try nd ge a recovery disc. Local shop told me to compress!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users